Quicksilver 867...run leopard?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by tom vilsack, Dec 8, 2011.

1. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

i may purchase a powermac G4 quicksilver 867...
    it has 896 mem,120 gig hd...everything else stock

what would leopard run like? would i get mild lag while scrolling web pages?

should i stick to tiger on it?

2. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I run Leopard even on a 466MHz tower, I find Leopard and its better software compatibility much better and usable.

3. tom vilsack thread starter macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

what are web page loads and scrolling like? (is it smooth or mild lag?)

4. reddrag0n macrumors 6502

reddrag0n

Right from Apple, though your experience may vary...

Requirements for Mac OS X v10.5
    Last Modified: May 06, 2010
    Article: HT3759
    Old Article: TA24950

Summary
    Learn the Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard requirements.

Products Affected
    Mac OS X 10.5
    Mac OS X v10.5 Leopard requires:

A Mac computer with an Intel, PowerPC G5, or Power PC G4 (867 MHz or faster) processor
    512 MB memory or more
    A DVD drive for installation
    9 GB of available disk space or more
    Some features require a compatible Internet service provider, fees may apply.
    Some features require Apple's MobileMe service; fees apply.

Notes

Computers with processor upgrade cards are not supported with Mac OS X. Although Mac OS X may install and appear to work normally on some computers with third-party microprocessor upgrade cards, Apple does not provide technical support or assistance for Mac OS X when used in this way. Contact the manufacturer of your microprocessor upgrade card for support information.
    Check out the Mac OS X Leopard Technical Specs website for additional details.
    You should also read the Before You Install document included on your Mac OS X installation disc.

5. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Leopard runs acceptably on my friends single 933 G4 with 768MB RAM. Its not the fastest thing under the sun of course, but it worked fine for web browsing in Firefox and Safari under Leopard (There may've been a very slight scroll lag, but it wasn't enough to get annoying IMO). Although I didn't have more than ~5 tabs open at a time. (This was over a 10-Base 100 Ethernet connection). I would definitely say its worth trying out to see if Leopard is ok (as well as giving it more RAM if you can. My G4/450 is useable under 10.5 with 1.5GB RAM, but under 768MB 10.5 becomes very sluggish).

6. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

I just want to inject into this thread that it's not the wisest thing to base a computers performance and your OS choice on how well it scrolls web pages. A way to get around slower scrolling is not use the mouse scroll at all on the web. Use the page up and page down keys. It's actually a far more accurate way to scroll down or up a page as you will never miss anything like you can if you rip on a scroll wheel. It's a great way to hide the tame pace of a slower system.

Also, scroll speed really depends on what browser you're using. Each one has it's own unique scroll tempo pretty much.

7. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

It should run fine.
    I have the PowerBook G4 12in
    1GHz G4 Processor, 1GB RAM, 160GB IDE
    and it runs Leopard fine.

Yes it is a bit faster than the Quicksilver but Im pretty sure there isnt much difference since its only 100MHz and 100MB RAM lower than my PBG4.

8. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

Lags on the 466MHz, runs pretty decent on the 1GHz with 512MB+ RAM. Both tolerable but 1GHz is good enough for everyday usage.

9. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Max out RAM and give it CI capable graphics card. It should run 10.5 acceptably after that. Cheapest HW CI card should be flashed GF 5200 (if you can live with VGA-only - otherwise look for Dual DVI R9600 from G5 or GF 6200 to flash).
    This CPU has 2MB L3 so it will perform like 1.0+ GHz one without L3. It can be OC'ed up to 1.0 GHz (voltage bump could be needed for 1.0) if you're handy in soldering.

10. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Think though, my 800mhz TiBook with the Mobility Radeon 7500 runs Leopard beautifully... It runs faster than my 1ghz eMac (probably because of the RAM but there you go) :)

Dude, just max out the RAM and you'll be home and dry :)

11. tom vilsack, Dec 10, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2011

tom vilsack thread starter macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

well just picked up the quicksilver today ($40 craigs)

-ive just loaded tiger (will install leopard once i max ram out to 1.5)...im surprized how well this handles tiger...guess it's the 2mb L3 cache or geforce 2 mx...it runs better then my old imac 1.0 G4 that had 1.24 gig ram.

-? it's not overly loud...but is there way to make it slightly quieter? (ppc fan,exhaust fan and power fan)....it's very clean inside (no dust at all)....so thats not a issue.

-overall very happy with it (G4 867,896 sdram,120 gig hd) will upgrade ram to max,add a usb 2.0 pci card,...and find a good used lcd monitor for it's own.....

12. Negritude macrumors 6502

Try using it with TenFourFox:

http://www.tenfourfox.com

And definitely max out the RAM to 1.5GB if you can. I have a Quicksilver 2002 (933MHz), and it runs decently. The advantage of the 2002 model is that it has LBA support built-in, so you can use large drives without the need of a controller card.

13. tom vilsack, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011

tom vilsack

i always use tenfourfox and or camino on my ppc's...also it came with a seagate 120 gig drive that 7200rpm so im good with that.....

will post a couple picks in a sec....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. tom vilsack, Dec 11, 2011

tom vilsack

only had this puppy for about 6 hours and already modding it ;-)

found this great site for reducing noise of quicksilvers

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/quicksilver_noise_2/quieting_quicksilver_3.html

so i tryed powsersupply mod...i took it out and with wire cutters i removed the finger guard (no worries still have outer plastic finger guard)...it makes a hugh difference! as the inner and outer gaurds don't line up ...the air flow was forced between both grills and thus causing extra noise....now gone!

next up ill try finding a quieter exhaust fan...as im sure this stock one is cheap quality and causing extra noise....

15. MAC MAN JW macrumors 6502

MAC MAN JW

Leopard shell run good on your mac i run leopard on a 733Mhz QS. i upgraded the video card to a GeForce4 MX and put a gig of ram in it and it runs fine:)

16. Zeke D macrumors 6502a

Zeke D

Chalk another up for Leo running just fine. I have it running on the following machine just fine:
    G4 700Mhz
    768MB RAM
    13GB 256k cache 4200RPM hdd
    Wireless B

17. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

I've run it quite well on 1GHz with 512MB, I'd upgrade to Leopard right now and not bother waiting for the extra memory (although it will help performance.)

18. tom vilsack, Dec 11, 2011

tom vilsack

Installed leopard tonight...

feels about the same as tiger on this quicksilver...in fact it scored a 522 in geekbench were tiger scored only a 479...also did all the updates,installed newest quicktime (itunes wouldn't load without) ect

i did a couple more mods for sound
    -took out two screw holding 60mm cpu fan exhaust cover and used zaps to hold in place (thus no vibration) also covered top of exhaust cover with black medal tape (which helped stop noise pushing threw small opening and in fact should direct better air cooling)....will post pics after of these mods...
    -also took apart 120mm case exhaust and gave it a good cleaning (also helped slightly with noise

next week im going to see about getting a 60mm and 120mm low noise fans...as i tryed disconnecting both for a sec and just leaving power supply fan going...and comp became nice and quiet! (i hate noise from computers)

would this fan be ok replacement for cpu exhaust fan?
    http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=16828&vpn=IXP-34-12&manufacture=SilenX%20Corporation

19. tom vilsack thread starter macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

20. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

But how fast does it scroll a web page??? Isn't that the most important thing about a computers performance?

Also.. unplugging fans while the computer is running? Are you trying to kill it? Unplugging things while it's on and limiting cooling and airflow is a good way to do that. Some users are really their computers own worst enemy.

21. tom vilsack thread starter macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

aren't you a ray of sunshine!

-i left cpu and case fan unplugged for maybe 5 secs...not going to kill anything...it really helped me pin down were the noise was coming from (not the power supply).

-btw it scrolls fine in both tenfourfox and camino (and yes it is important to me,as it's item i use often)

now back to my project,and not wasting time having to defend myself...out today to buy quieter fans...and also picking up two sticks of 512 mem so that i will max out to 1.5 gig's....

22. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Replacement fans should have that same or higher CFM as stock ones.

23. tom vilsack thread starter macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

yes i found stock ratings and would make sure same or above

case 120mm 86cfm 37dba
    psu 80mm 38cfm 29dba
    cpu 60mm 23cfm 33.5dba

24. tom vilsack thread starter macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

well almost done (still need to find fans...but that might have to wait till i can track down ones i want)

tonight i purchased a samsung 17" 740n and two sticks of 512 (total now 1.5 gigs) for $55,,,so total project came to $95...leopard runs great with extra ram.

pick of setup (table with mouse will go once i get slideout tray for mouse...i dont like it ontop of table due to back issues)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. RileyIL77 macrumors newbie

Old PowerPC G3 case.

Not to steal a thread, but I have an old PowerPC G3 case where the motherboard is basically shot. Does not always boot and such. I was wondering if the Quicksilver motherboard would fit in the G3 case. It opens up the same way Tom has shown is Quicksilver opening. I was just wondering about this. Again please forgive me, I'm not trying to thread steal.