Quicksilver 867Ghz RAM Upgrade

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by crees!, Apr 10, 2008.

1. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

So I have an old G4 867 single processor Power Mac that's sitting in a closet and would like to turn into a home server running Leopard Server. I know already that it does not meet the minimum RAM requirements to install Leopard. I figure I would max it out to 1.5GB RAM but am unsure about one thing. In trying to keep cost as low as possible I've found RAM that fits the specs, but is high density and brings me to the question of compatibility. Sure low density is better and is more like Crucial RAM but runs at $60 a pop for a single 512MB stick. The high density RAM is around $20 a pop for a single 512MB stick. Again, I'd like to keep on the cheap end of things but am unsure how the system will handle the cheap RAM. Here is some RAM I am looking at found off pricewatch.com. http://www.partspc.com/ProductDetails.asp?CatID=67&ProdID=16859

Aside from RAM the only other upgrade I see needing is hard drive space. Video performance is non-issue and I figure 867Mhz is good enough for a home server.

Anyone have a take or own story on RAM?

2. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Umm, actually high-density is better as it allows for more RAM per stick.

You should be fine using it, unless it's got 512 MB on only one side, and the other side is blank (single-sided RAM), then it would be too high-density for your mac, since you're supposed to be running double-sided 512MB RAM (512Mbit chips, presumably..).

3. Lord Zedd macrumors 6502a

Lord Zedd

I think that 867Ghz CPU is a better upgrade than ram! :p