Quicksilver 933mhz CPU in a 533 DA?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by joesludge, May 4, 2007.

1. joesludge macrumors newbie

1st off, hello to you all. Newbie here and fairly new to the whole Mac world. Recently picked up a cheap 533mhz (single cpu) Digital Audio to get into the mac world after years of PC use (I blame my work). It has 120 gb total storage, 1gb RAM, CD/DVD burner, 2.0 USB pci card, TI wireless pci card (that it recognizes as Airport Extreme card), running thru an Airport Express router. Running Tiger 10.4.9, MS '04, etc...

Mostly use it for surfing, itunes, basic word and excel stuff, and plan on using it for some light music recording & production.

I can get a Quicksilver 933 mhz processor and heat sink for cheap and I was wondering if it was easy and useful to upgrade it. I've read about the 12v adaptor mod to send power to the 4th lug on the board. IS there anything else I should know and lookout for? Probably a little more cooling?

Thanks,
    Joel

2. drj434343 macrumors member

drj434343

I asked a very similar question here a few weeks ago. I was told that the PowerPC CPU revisions in the later G4's would not working in a DA. The fastest CPU that can be installed is a single 733 that originally appeared in in the DA. Other than that, there are various CPU upgrades available from Sonnet or Powerlogix that can bring you up to 1.8 Ghz or so.

If you decide to try the 933Mhz Quicksilver in your DA away, I'd love to hear how it goes.

3. joesludge thread starter macrumors newbie

O.k. it ended up being a 867 mhz quicksilver processor. I just got it and put it in tonight. I added the 12v jumper from a molex plug jumper to the 4th mount hole using a 6-32 machine screw and a couple washers and nuts.

Bolted it in, turned it on and blammo! It came right up and the computer recognizes it as 867mhz with 2mb L3 cache. No firmware updates or anything had to be done.......excellent. I have the fan mounted but I didn't wire it up yet as I'm gonna have to make a "custom" fan plug and splice it in. Seems to be staying pretty cool as it is.

http://hc.bloodyvelvet.com/files/75/Picture 1.jpg

Oh yeah, as far as performance.....it is definitely loading quicker and there was a notable improvement while messing with garage band. I didn't doing any actual system performance tests, but I'm very pleased with my budget upgrade so far.:D

4. drj434343 macrumors member

drj434343

I'm amazed it worked! Was it a single 867 or dual?

You mentioned a 4th pin molex modification for additional power in order to make this work? Could you explain what this was?

Also, your link doesn't appear to work.

5. joesludge thread starter macrumors newbie

Now I'm actually running it overclocked to 1ghz!
    http://hc.bloodyvelvet.com/files/75/Mac G4/1ghz Mac.png
    It is a single 867 CPU. The 12volt mod is simply running a 12v lead (the yellow wire in the 4 pin molex power connectors) to the 4th lug of the CPU. I have it bolted to the lug with a #6-32 machine screw and 2 nuts (making sure the bolt doesn't touch the motherboard).