Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snowman

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2001
I remeber the 9600/350 Mhz was the fastest consumer computer ever made. And that was three/four years ago! Apple really stalled after that though. About the same time that Jobs came back hmmm... Anyway, I'm sure it hadn't anything to do with his return. But I can't help keep wondering what the heck Motorola were doing back then.

Originally posted by spikey
I do believe apple was first to 300 Mhz aswell, although my memory is not too good.

MasterX (OSiX)

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2001
Nostalgia....

I remember a long while ago, this company was the first to break the barrier for speed by a few-fold. The fastest chips around were 200Mhz G3s. They made special systems with 2 150Mhz G3s and one had 4 200Mhz G3s. They advertised it as a 800Mhz G3. But since the G3 can't multi-process as we all know, each chip does 1/2 the chip before it. 375Mhz effective was still almost double what was available. I even remember, it was exactly 5 years ago. My freind said that it was a shame no computers were 300Mhz yet, I showed him the ad, he was blown away. If only Apple had a 2.5x lead over PCs we'd all be living like kings. I still yearn for the day where I wouldn't need to prove my Mac's power until it's 2 years old. If Apple was as powerful now as they were a while ago, the mac would be a 128-bit/256-bit Altivec 2Ghz G5, and we'd all own one for $8,000, but be glad because it would burn PCs for about 18 months, then we'd still have an edge for 24 months and we'd upgrade our ram so we could keep ot for 6 months after that. Then when we got slower than our PC counterparts, we'd buy a 6Ghz model. If Apple pushes out a G5 at OVER 1Ghz we'll have an unreasonable edge. My wish is for Apple to make a pro-laptop that is faster than the top of the line PC. When that day comes, it will be sweeeeeeeeet.

MasterX (OSiX)

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2001
Note: If Apple pushes out a +1Ghz G5 in JANUARY. Impossible? Maybe, but since Apple has taken control of their CPUs themselves again…

Also that 4 Processor 200Mhz G3 was $12,999.

Also that company went bankrupt about 4 months later.

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
Yes MasterOSX, a Mac will one day crush a PC with its bare finger.
Until then lets just allow Windows to make sure PCs are completely inferior.

Unfortunately i was reading an article in Macuser magazine which said a testing of the G5 by motorola was taking place sometime next month, which normally means the chip will be launched a year later than that.

I think Apple needs to release the G5 early to mid 2002, Apple needs to catch up to the PC, from what we have heard even a G5 with a low clock speed would kick ass.

Macs are still paying the price for the "stuck at 500Mhz" blunder motorola created.

MasterX (OSiX)

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2001
Damn Motorola.

Remember all those "future OS" projects Apple had? They finally stopped them in '96 (I think) and redefined them as the OSX project (not the actual name). In 5 years they had a good portion of the MacOS matched or improved. I believe by around MacOS X 10.3 none of us will eve miss OS9 anymore.

I'm confident thee same will apply to Apple taking control over their CPUs again. Around the time of the Dual500 (bad excuse for the 700Mhz G4 they should've had) Apple moved some of the (final?) development of their CPUs on-campus. Apple might (should) buy off the CPU-development assets off Motorola. It's not worth the 500M Motorola wants, I think Apple could get it for 200. Correct me if i'm wrong here, but mostly G4s are made by motorola, and G3s are made by IBM right? If Apple let IBM, the G3 would be up to +1Ghz by now. The G4 is holding the G3 back. If Apple wanted to they could overclock the iMacs A WHOLE FREAKIN' LOT, I mean the G3s could work in laptops w/o any modification (for heat anyway). The imac has no fan, the tricky issue will be when Apple wants to put it BACK in and let the G3s run up as fast as they can. My theory is that Apple will unleash the G3 up 200Mhz when they get LCDs in them. No one will care about the fans if they have 1100Mhz G3s and 14" LCDs.

The G5 will involve mostly Apple and IBM (I think) and thus should prove to be one killer processor. FYI The G5 is stable up to about 1Ghz now, and they have models that run at 1.8Ghz. Unfortunatly they crash and require enough power for 4 G4s (total systems) but hey, they've got lots of time.

snowman

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2001
How fast is the fpu in the G4 anyways? The fpu in the 604e-processors were almost twise as fast as those in the G3. But the cpu was much slower. That's why an upgraded grey machine could be faster than an actual G3. But how fast is the fpu in the G4 compared to 604e? Have anyone seen any tests, is there any difference at all? Curious!

Originally posted by Luckster
Most modern chips use what is termed as speculative processing to reduce downtime. When the P4 makes an accurate guess, the long pipeline does not matter, it is simply fast. However, if their is no data to be processed a bubble forms. If the speculation is wrong, all that work must be discarded, the channel cleared, and new data fetched. This make take upwards of 50 cycles! However, if a G4 makes a mistake, it costs about a quarter of that. Therefore, repetative tasks such as spell checking probably do go faster on a P4.

The Altivec superscalar unit allows for faster floating point calculations. The G4 is faster in floating point and P4 is faster in integer calculations, so I am told. Therefore, graphics and other tasks which rely upon floating point calcs will go faster where as business software, mainly integer calculations won't be able to use the Altivec as well and thus, the P4 probably faster.
- Anderw

snowman

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2001
When does a P4 make a guess? Computers cannot guess, computers execute.

Originally posted by Luckster
When the P4 makes an accurate guess, the long pipeline does not matter, it is simply fast. However, if their is no data to be processed a bubble forms. If the speculation is wrong, all that work must be discarded, the channel cleared, and new data fetched.
- Anderw

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.