quicksilver bookmarks help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by flat6, Mar 15, 2008.

1. flat6 macrumors regular

I've had an older version of Quicksilver launcher on my PowerBook G4, and I trained it to launch websites by adding those websites to my favorites in Safari.

Now I've switched to a MacBook Air and installed the newest version of Quicksilver, and this doesn't seem to work anymore. I know I can add custom triggers manually into Quicksilver by typing in the URLs, but that's a pain in the ass. I really liked the bookmarks-searching it did before. Anyway to enable it? Am I just missing something really obvious?

2. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

The developer said in an interview with lifehacker that Quicksilver in Leopard is highly experimental and that he never expected a stable release. This made me sad as quicksilver was one of my favorite mac apps... the good news is that some of quicksilver's functionality remains, however alot of the good stuff (ie. proxies) simply does not work with leopard.

3. flat6 thread starter macrumors regular

Whoa. That's unfortunate :(

Any good alternatives? I've tried Spotlight but I can't seem to get it as a good intuitive quicklauncher for bookmarks. I guess I can also give Google Desktop a try, that seems to work OK on my Windows computer at work...

4. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

I know,.. but keep in mind that Quicksilver is still usable,.. just not quite as functional. If you want an app launcher, quicksilver will do that, if you want a nice itunes controller, a quick way to send mail or a quick way to search your contacts, quicksilver still does that.

I have heard that launch bar is pretty good.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I gave up on QS and went to LaunchBar after reading the dev. stopped working on the project. LaunchBar is shareware, but is supported and updated frequently. After a couple of days getting used to it, I don't really miss QS at all.

6. pjrobertson macrumors 6502a

QS works great for me under Leopard. Don't lose faith!

Someone else has worked on a Leopard build (ankur) which I've been using. Bookmarks work fine for me

Here's the link:

http://lipidity.com/software/quicksilver/

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Have you installed the Safari plug-in? This feature works for me.

Unfortunately QS doesn't find documents now :(

8. auxplage macrumors 6502

Quicksilver will search documents.

I just had to go to Catalog, Custom, Add the Documents Folder, then have it search infinite depth.