Quicksilver Dual Proc Issues

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Smack2k, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Smack2k, Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018

Smack2k macrumors newbie

Smack2k

Just picked up a Dual Proc Quicksilver G4.....

Noticing a couple things on this that i find odd...

The Optical Drive seems to read discs slower than my Sawtooth and the OS install process via CDs seems a lot slower than the process was on the Sawtooth.

Also, Sawtooth has 2 GB RAM to the Quicksilver's 1 GB. Read Quicksilver can only have 1.5 GB....is this true?

Finally, the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro that I flashed and was working in my Sawtooth fine wont work in the Quicksilver. System wont boot with it inserted. I noticed the Quicksilver has an extra slot in front of the AGP Slot that the card that came with the machine goes into along with going into the AGP slot...

Any reasons for the issues I am seeing and anything I can do to fix them?

2. weckart macrumors 601

Failing optical drive. Lasers wear out over time. I just replaced a drive in a beige G3 last week for that reason.
    I don't think Sawtooths support ADC cards so you might have to tape over pins 3 and 11 on your flashed card for the QS to handle it.

QSes have 4 PCI slots and 3 RAM slots. Earlier G4s had (I think) 3 PCI slots and 4 RAM slots. It's usually one or the other.

3. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

There are some peculiarities with the Quicksilver. It's more beauty over brawn.

Some graphic cards that work with every other version of G4 won't work with the QS and some cards that work with the QS won't work with any other G4.

That said, I had a 9800 Pro in mine at one point but it wasn't a flashed card. It was a retail Mac card.

4. Smack2k thread starter macrumors newbie

Smack2k

Thanks for the info....I guess I have to mod the 9800 Pro....I shall get to it!

5. mode11 macrumors regular

mode11

I've got a flashed PC 9800 Pro 128MB working fine in my QS (1Ghz DP). Did you tape any AGP pins (3 and 8?) so it could run in your Sawtooth? I've done that to cards so they work in a Cube, which is also AGP 2x. Don't think it's necessary in a QS (AGP 4x) though... Just a thought.

6. Smack2k thread starter macrumors newbie

Smack2k

Wait, the QS doesnt need the taped pins? When I put the flashed 9800 Pro in my QS it wont start. If I pull it out and put it back in, it will start on its own, make a strange beep sound then do nothing, while still running...The Same 9800 Pro was in my Sawtooth and I was able to use it until I replaced it with my Ti4600.

7. mode11 macrumors regular

mode11