Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

product26

Cancelled
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Check out my Quicksilver G4, I put it in a G5 case and successfully made it in to the quietest Dual 1ghz Quicksilver G4 ever!

I used Silenx fans, the quietest fans on the market.

I took a bunch of pictures so I could list it on ebay, so I thought i would share them with everybody!

Last edited:

Maxwell Smart

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
Sweet mod. Do the front USB/Firewire work? Also, you might want to sell that airport card as you can get $$$$ for it, then buy a PCI wireless G (extreme) card and still have some money left over with wireless to boot! One question though, why are you selling on eBay? It really looks like a clean job.

product26

Cancelled
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Sweet mod. Do the front USB/Firewire work? Also, you might want to sell that airport card as you can get $$$$ for it, then buy a PCI wireless G (extreme) card and still have some money left over with wireless to boot! One question though, why are you selling on eBay? It really looks like a clean job.

Thanks!

The airport cards have gone down in value from $120+ to like $60-$75, so i figured that i would just include it with the computer. I am selling on ebay because I just purchased a mac pro. Also because i don't have enough posts ( i think you need 100 ) to list it here.

Now my problem is that some Limey bastard from the UK with 0 feedback completed the auction that specifically noted "Ships To: United States" by using buy it now.
Now I get to wait for the ebay police to make sure the auction is nullified and that I don't get charged for the listing fees.

product26

Cancelled
Original poster
May 30, 2005
I had the motherboard in, and up and running in a couple of hours, and i slowly worked on all the small things. I would say it took me quite a few hours, but there is no way to say exactly how long it took.

It was even cleaner before, I had a Sonnet SATA card, and the SATA cable ran behind the motherboard and couldn't even be seen. Because I am selling it i took out the SATA and put a PATA back in, leaving an ugly ribbon cable running straight down the middle. Luckily the cable is flat and doesn't obstruct air flow.

product26

Cancelled
Original poster
May 30, 2005
sold this beast on ebay today. although it is still in my possession, it is no longer mine. Time to pack her up.

Alex72

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The pictures appear to have disappeared from this thread. A pity, as I didn't get to see them and would very much like to... :(

I'm thinking of finally making the jump up to a MDD Mac (possibly a 1.42DP) and have concerns about possible noise.

Alex

Alex72

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Most excellent! Thanks for the repost, too. I finally pulled the trigger on an "old" MDD dual-1.25 and I have to say, it is one of the noisiest computers I have ever used, so this interests me greatly... :)

enanton

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2010
Quicksilver G4 in a G5 case

Hello quick question,

I'm about to start the same procedure myself and was wondering if the G4 board fit the G5 easily or did you have to add additional mount points. Also if you have any advice on the procedure or more pictures on the process.

Thanks alot

jasew503

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
Sweet Mod, Seems Simple. Im about to attempt the same mod with a dead G5 tower I acquired off Craigslist for $50. Was planning on wiring the original G5 ports up to the g4 board using a custom header to maintain cleanliness. I have a DA Model I want to throw in simply cuz the airport card I have is a Cabletron Roamabout, and is extended in length, so I cant close the case. Ill mount the G4's internal antenna as well. At some point ill turn mine into a Hack Pro and put the G4 hardware back in its case. The custom header should make this transition smoother as well as with future mods.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.