Quicksilver Good to Go for Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by benlee, Feb 13, 2008.

1. benlee macrumors 65816

benlee

I was a big fan of Quicksilver before I upgraded to Leopard. I especially like to be able to use keyboard shortcuts. But with Spotlight in Leopard it isn't as necessary and I'm not sure of the stability of it. Mainly though I want a program that can skip songs in itunes with the keyboard while in another window. Any Suggestions and news of Quicksilver? Thanks.

2. ebel3003 macrumors 6502a

ebel3003

I still use it for everything. With all of the plug-ins (like the iTunes plug-in), it's still quite useful for more than just a launcher. Stability is great for me, I haven't had a crash for months.

3. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

its been stable since 10.5

i've sometimes had it oddly quit out on me when i'm grabbing files, but thats it. everything else about it works.

4. rodman109110 macrumors 6502

i have the wired keyboard and the change song keys, f7 and f9, will change the song when i am in a different program, like safari. i don't know if this applies to all programs though.

5. kfordham281 macrumors 6502

I quit using QS in Leopard since Spotlight is so quick. I was just using it as a launcher though.

6. wightstraker macrumors regular

I'm running Leopoard on a 1.5GHz G4, and don't ask me why, but Quicksilver is literally twice as fast as Spotlight when it comes to searching and launching apps. This may be unique to the ppc. Anyone know what algorithm QS is using, and why it's so damn fast?

7. elcid macrumors 6502

I have never had a problem with it. I loaded it right up in 10.5 and never looked back. Disabled spotlight and all.

8. .adam macrumors regular

Stable for me.

Got the Bezel Pro interface, black, little bit transparent... looks beautiful :)

Never had a problem using it on Leopard, what have you experienced in the past?

9. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

I never really got to grips with it, and started using Butler which I much prefer.

But to answer your question, it does seem to work ok on Leopard 10.5.2.

10. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

I pretty much just use it as a launcher as well but I've never had spotlight be as fast as quicksilver. Maybe I need to tweak it more and exclude a lot of stuff but Spotlight for me always chugged for a second or two before anything popped up, while Quicksilver was always instant.

11. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Leopard improved the Spotlight so I have not installed Quicksilver.

12. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Yeah, this is basically me too.

13. benlee thread starter macrumors 65816

benlee

Anyone know where to get it and also plugins and maybe some tutorials?

Thanks.

14. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Plug-ins are a pane in the QS preferences, search YouTube for some tutorials.

The two days after Leopard I went before I found a place to download QS was hell, absolute hell. I have no idea how I used this computer before I discovered that wonderful app.

15. DaveF macrumors 6502a

I stopped using QS after upgrading to Leopard, and finally uninstalled it last week. Unfortunately QS become noticeably slower in finding and selecting applications under 10.5 -- to the point that Spotlight was about the same speed and sometimes faster.

I miss the QS interface. I only used it as a launcher, but even so I loved the center-of-screen window. But it was not working as well for me, and on the whole seems to be abandoned by its creator. So I've moved on. If it does continue to evolve, hopefully I'll hear about it so I can try it again.

16. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Just FYI I personally have not experienced any slowdown, or other problems. However it would be great if a kind developer would pick up QS and clean it up a bit :)

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

http://lipidity.com/

Already happened.