Quicksilver HD Problem (no boot, target mode works)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by td241, Oct 10, 2008.

1. td241 macrumors newbie

Hello friends,

I have a G4 933 Quicksilver (1st edition). I just installed a new 320 GB hard drive. It refuses to boot to the retail OSX 10.4 DVD! (Power PC)

I have tried to boot holding the C key, tried to boot with Open Firmware, and tried to hold the option key. Holding the option key yields no on-screen options.

Typing "boot cd" generates "boot cd method <load> not found; ihandle=0 phandle=0 load-size=0 adler32=1 LOAD-SIZE is too small"

typing "cd boot" says "can't OPEN: mac-io/ata-4@0:2, \System/Library/CoreServices/BootX ok"

I know that this install DVD works. Oddly enough, I can start the computer in FireWire target mode, and recognize it on my MacBook. Unfortunately, my MacBook refuses to let me open a PowerPC installer to install OSX remotely. The media drive could be broken, but I hear the disc spinning up

Why can my MacBook recognize (and format!) the drive, whereas the PowerMac cannot? That being said, I am unaware of this tower's background. It could have any number of issues. Hopefully we can pinpoint one!

Thanks all so much

Tommaso

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

That particular model uses the IDE (P-ATA) interface for HDs and optical drives.

As such, if the devices are on the same channel, one must be set to Master and the other set to Slave.

My guess is that both are set to Master or Slave. Just need to change the setting on the HD from Master to Slave or vice versa then it should work.

3. td241 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried single mode (no shunt) as well as cable select, dual-master and dual-slave modes. No soap!

tommaso

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Put your MacBook in target mode (with the DVD in its drive) and see whether it then shows up in the Option menu on your tower.

5. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

These computers supported only a 128 mb maximum drive size. The next gen(2002) QuickSilver PM did support larger drives however.

6. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

uummm.....wrong answer :p

The 1st edition QS, and the subsequent "edu" model, did NOT come in a 933mhz version.....only the "2002" model did, but it and the edu models do support drives over 128Gb.....

and even in those machines that did not, they would still recognize the 1st 128GB of a larger drive...... I found this out a long time ago while upgrading my B&W's/ST's/GE's/DA's etc.......

7. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

PPC code no workie on intel machines :p
    If it did, we'd all still be able to run classic apps & OS 9 on them!

Formatting a drive is one thing, running code that will not execute & is incompatible is another :eek:

8. td241 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I know. My question is more: WHY WON'T THIS THING BOOT

Oddly enough, this model is a 933, which is a "2002" speed, but has IDE hard drive. According to Apple-History, the "2002" models are supposed to have have ATA. w-t-f?

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I have the same model, a PM933 Quicksilver 2002.

IDE and ATA are the same.

After the S-ATA (Serial ATA) interface was introduced, the Parallel version of ATA is now usually listed as P-ATA.

If you disconnect your HDs, and have only the optical drive connected, will it boot to the CD?

Edit: If nothing else works, you can always try to reset the PMU switch.

Sometimes this is needed when the PowerMac gets confused about booting after changing out components, including a new HD.

10. td241 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for everyone's help. Nermal's advice worked; i installed OSX 10.4 remotely from my MacBook using Target mode. I think there may be a problem with my optical drive!

Thanks again!

Tommaso

11. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Those are the ones I'm talking about. I didn't catch the 933 in the description; read 1st edition as 1st generation. My eyes aren't the greatest at monitor distances.

12. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

So did I.