QuickSilver help me bring it back!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by comda, Feb 16, 2015.

1. comda, Feb 16, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2017

comda macrumors 6502a

comda

Greetings Mac Rumors!

Today i managed to purchase yet another Mac. This one is my first Power Macintosh with a cool design (i do have a beige G3). I checked the tag it actually is a 1ghz DP quicksilver! The owner had adder a PCI USB card and it has 1.5GB of Ram a Zip drive and DVD pioneer burner etc.

Here is my issue, It wont chime :confused: The owner said he thinks its the Powersupply and he also knows the Hard drive was on its way out.
    The first thing i get when i turn it on is the fans spinning up, there seems to be something in the Fan Under the PSU as it made some scraping noise. So i unplugged it. The Red light appears on the board and all Fans are spinning just no chime no display.

The light on the button shows when i press it thats it. Ive tried different Ram so far, removed the USB Card. IM going to remove that Stealth Serial port card aswell and blow the dust out of it. He said he added the card himself..

There is a cord unplugged if someone could help identify what it is. He had all the Ide cables unplugged as well as all the PSU cables other then to the mobo. Is there a way i can use a standard PC Power supply to try it?

Any tips/help is appreciated! Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Try resetting the PRAM. That little cable is for the modem. If you are not using dial up, you don't need it connected.

3. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Might be the PSU, I should check mine because mine won't chime either. Isn't there a way to use an ATX?

4. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

Nothing on the PRAM reset...How could it be the Powersupply if it powers on just fine..

5. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I've seen weird things happen with "marginal" power supplies...

The easiest way to confirm this is the problem is to swap it out with a known good one, although admittedly if you don't have another working Quicksilver this is easier said than done.

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Sometimes a power supply can fail to provide enough power to fully start a machine or it may not provide any power to some voltages lines.

7. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

is there a way i can use a volt meter to determine if the PSU is working? Or what? this seems to have 2 more pins making it harder to use a ATX PSU without some kind of modification...

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Pull the video card. Power on and see if she chimes.

9. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

You can use a volt meter by sticking the probes in any of the HDD or Drive power plugs. you can check the other (3.3V for example) by back probing the connector.

My eMac doesn't chime anymore either but it works just fine. It could be the video card. Does it have VGA or DVI?

10. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I dont think it would, I was working on the Video Card to my MDD and started it up with no video card and it made the sound it makes when you have no/bad RAM.

11. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

I removed everything I could other then the cpu right now. The stealth card, the gpu (VGA AND the Apple port which looks like dvi) but isn't, the usb card and still no chime no display nothing.

12. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

I have started many Macs without video cards-they work.

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I have a G4 PCI at work that I run headless. Meaning it's running without a video card. The only way I can control it is through screen sharing.

See the attached pictures. The G4 on the left is the headless one and the G4 on the right is controlling it through Chicken of the VNC.

My point in making that suggestion was that if the video card was bad you could tell by removing it. If the Mac was otherwise ok, with a bad video card removed it would boot.

OP. It's sounding like your logicboard is toast.

Attached Files:

14. MatthewLTL macrumors 68000

MatthewLTL

I'm surprised any business would even still have and use PowerMacs. What you used them for? I'm amazed of a G4 that old running Leopard. Must be really slow.

15. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

Thats actually pretty cool. As to the main board, i figured the seller was a little suspicious. Considering he made modifications to the machine and then earlier last years tried to sell it for $50 claiming again as a bad PSU.

Considering i purchased it for only $10 im still happy to have it. If the main board is really fried I can simply use the case for a PC build of mine. Although I do have one last shot up my sleeve. I just remembered my high school teacher had a 933Mhz model Quicksilver. Friday i will go and use his Powersupply to test my system.

As to before that i will take to work blow the dust out of it reseat the CPU as well. As ive even tried booting the system without any memory to see if i can get it to beep and absolutely nothing.

Just another question, Since it does have a removable GPU can i use this GPU in a PC Motherboard and hacintosh the system? Would the card still work in a PC? I used to have an Old HP Pentium 4 board that i had tiger on it but i tried leopard and the GPU kexts didnt work.

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

The G4 PCI is running Tiger (350mhz) with 192MB ram and a 120GB HD.
    The G4 AGP is running Leopard (400mhz) with 256MB ram and a 80GB HD.

The PCI is our Applescript server. It processes photos, copies ad proofs to the correct folder, moves editorial pages to the correct folder and files email attachments (from our sales reps) in dated folders.

The Leopard AGP Mac was previously used with 1.75GB ram and was a production Mac. Adobe CS4, QuarkXPress 8.5, Suitcase Fusion 2, Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro.

Right now the Leopard Mac is serving as a print server so that the Mac Pro can print to Appletalk printers. It's also a backup production Mac. Finally, I use it for older versions of apps should I have a need.

Yes, on Leopard it's a little slow. Even when it had 1.75GB. However, it's still very capable and it was used in a primary production role from 2004 (when I was hired) until 2013.

Not every small business can either afford new equipment or be properly motivated by those who use the equipment to upgrade/update.

It took us 2.5 years to finally get our Windows server replaced. And that's that the server was on it's way out two years before that!

Our newest PCs run Windows 7 Pro.

17. weckart macrumors 68040

Short answer, unlikely. There are a small number of cards that are both PC/Mac compatible but most are either PC, MacPPC or MacIntel depending upon the ROM used. To use on a Hackintosh you would need to flash to PC assuming a suitable ROM exists. If the card has an ADC port, you would be better off selling it on eBay as Mac cards are rarer and fetch more than PC cards.

What sort of hackintosh are you thinking of that will have an AGP slot for the video card? Hardly worth the effort for such old tech.

18. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

The last Mac with an AGP slot was the early 2005 Powermac G5. The best card officially made available for that computer was the Radeon X850XT.

Look up graphs of GPU performance over the past 10 years, and you will see that it has improved exponentially since then. I'd venture to guess that even a low end card today would probably outperform a 10 year old high end card.

Assuming you could even find a board with an AGP slot, and make the card you have work on it, you would have put in a lot of effort for what is not even a high end card. Depending on which option the original buyer checked, you probably have either a Radeon 7500 with 32mb of VRAM or a GEForce 4MX with 64mb of VRAM. These are marginal cards for Leopard, much less a more current version of OS X.

----------

During my time snowed in over the last couple of days, I have been optimizing Leopard on my G4 Cube. It is 450mhz(a common processor speed for the Sawtooths), and has 1.5gb of RAM. It also-at the moment-has a GEForce 2MX, which is not a great card for Leopard. Despite all this, with much of the "eye candy" turned off it actually performs relatively well with Leopard.

19. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

Well the reason i ask about using the OLD GPU is that i have an old Pentium 4 board with an AGP slot on it. I had osx 10.4.8 on it a Long time ago but when i tried leopard the GPU wouldnt like it. And i want a way to test the GPU. This is the NV17 as it states on the back so its the nvidia Geforce 4Mx 64mb Card. VGA and apple video adapter (what ever its called) Like i said im getting another quicksilver friday to test the powersupply and if i have time the video card. if the mainboard or CPU is dead i will gut the system either selling the working components/ giving some away/throwing the rest out and making a Hacintosh out of its case one day. But thats going to wait till im done this semester. It would be a dream to get it to work though, it is a 1ghz DP..

20. comda thread starter macrumors 6502a

comda

So as i mentioned today i took the computer to a friend who has a 933Mhz in working condition and tried his power supply just as last precaution. Nada. Looks like its the mainboard or CPU. Maybe once school is over ill narrow it down and see if i can sell the parts to other fellow PPC enthusiasts. It is a 1ghz DP. Its more likely the board but who knows. Eitherway once i get some time im building a hacintosh inside the beautiful Quicksilver case. it has very little scratching on it so yaay summer project. I tested my video card and i know it works too. Thanks for everyones help.