Quicksilver + iTunes = Alarm Clock? (Fun for QS Nerds)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by doitintheroad, Oct 23, 2007.

1. doitintheroad

So, most functional users of Quicksilver are probably aware that it's fairly easy to use Quicksilver to open iTunes after a delay or at a specific time, essentially acting as an alarm clock (Of course, without the fancy names/graphics/etc of the numerous Mac alarm clock programs out there).
    So I have a question that is really kind of two questions and kind of not a question at all:

I want to use QS as an alarm clock, and use it to wake me up with my favourite iTunes playlists. But I'd also like the volume to start fairly low when iTunes starts, and slowly get louder over a minute or five to give me a nicer wakeup than a blaring song in my ear. Now this is entirely possible to do while still in QS. Just as easily as you can set QS to wake your iTunes with a song/playlist/whatever, you can set QS to raise the volume of your iTunes at any time you'd like - very handy. So now that I've explained exactly what I want to do, on to the questions.

1) Is there a 'repeat' command in QS that I can set to automatically repeat the same action once a minute, once every 30 seconds, or whatever I choose, but set to start after a delay? That seems to make more sense than setting up 6-7 manual volume increases in QS before bedtime.
    2) Does QS have a 'queued actions' display? I'd love to see that I don't have anything crazy queued up to happen for the morning. Plus, I'd love to be able to confirm that I've set everything up properly.
    3) Is there such a thing as a QS script file that can be freely downloaded/accesses/shared/etc? If not, is there a way to save a set of actions I've done from a previous night, so I don't have to take the time to repeat basically the same thing every night? (Plus I'd want to change wakeup times, songs to play, and such while leaving the basic script intact)

Cheers, and I hope someone finds this as interesting as I do. I love my Quicksilver. I was doubtful at first, but now I can't imagine life without it! Most useful program on my Mac by a longshot!

-Daniel

2. eji macrumors 6502

eji

I think you could make things a heck of a lot easier on yourself by using the freeware app Aurora, which does everything you've outlined. I use QS daily and for any number of unrelated tasks, but sometimes these one-trick ponies are a much better solution.

Of course, for the geek factor alone I'm curious to see what other MR forum members suggest you can do in QS. It might come in handy when applied to other things. But I wanted something along the lines of what you're requesting, and I found Aurora to be the simplest and most useful answer.