Quicksilver Not Booting

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by PowerHack, Apr 8, 2015.

1. PowerHack macrumors newbie

So here's the story, a few weeks ago I bought a 867 MHz Powermac G4 Quicksilver along with a 400 MHz B&W Powermac G3 for $30, While updating the QS to tiger from Mac OS 9.2 I accidentally tripped over the power cable and attempted to turn it back on.. It would start up, then roughly 2-5 seconds later it would then shut off, without a bong or boot screen. So (assuming it was dead) I turned the case into a hackintosh, and put its CPU into my Sawtooth. Now I'm wondering if theirs any hope in getting it to boot again. Without its case I've put the 450 MHz from my sawtooth in it, 64MB of ram (just so theirs enough to see if it'll turn on), and a AGP ATI rage 128, using the power button which is still in my sawtooth I'm still getting the same results. Any Ideas ?

2. supernova777 macrumors member

i had this exact problem with an exact model.. the 867Mhz QS..
    i even replaced the motherboard trying to fix it and it worked a few times but then returned to the same behaviour... i ended up throwing it in a dumpster because i couldnt get it working again.. :(

except i didnt trip over the cable , i had tried to put in an oem AGP card from (9600 radeon) from a G5... i guess i didnt tape the pins properly..

3. RedCroissant Suspended

Since you have another Mac, you could always use TDM to get it back to the beginning and then try either cloning the OS from your Sawtooth or attempt reinstalling the OS after you have erased the HDD in the QS.

4. PowerHack thread starter macrumors newbie

Heres the issue, I can't even get it to POST, So I know its farther than an Software issue at this point. I feel like its because I **attempted** to update from (what I'm now positive it had, not 9.2) 8.5.1 to 10.4, and seeing how that's a HUGE upgrade I think it may have fried something when it got unplugged.