Quicksilver Releases Update - How does it compare?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ahheck01, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Ahheck01 macrumors 6502

So quicksilver surprisingly released an update to 1.0 Beta 57 today, boasting performance improvements. More information on the release on Lifehacker.

I have a question about this. Back in the day before I had a computer that ran spotlight quickly, Quicksilver was a must-have. I now have a 13" unibody Macbook, and I launch all my apps etc by hitting command-spacebar to bring up spotlight. It's pretty much instant.

I haven't used Quicksilver in over a year, but I know many mac guys swear by it. What function does it have over spotlight that's worth having an extra program running all the time?

Thanks,

-Evan

2. Ahheck01 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm surprised there aren't more people wanting to put in their 2 cents, given the supposedly large number of mac users that swear by the program..

3. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

I don't think QS is a "must have" any longer for the reason you state above.

4. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

I'm since moved to Google Quick Search, also developed by the same developer. Quicksilver has a lag time ever since I used it on Snow Leopard.

5. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

6. Ahheck01 thread starter macrumors 6502

Why? What does having this extra program do for you that spotlight won't?

7. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

Spotlight just give you the results of the word you typed it, Google quick search allows you to do more with the results, like playing a song, moving files, searching online and more.

8. Wee Beastie macrumors regular

I have been using LaunchBar with good results. Definitely provides more control over your results in a way that spotlight does not. The only thing that I miss from QS is the comma trick. But honestly, it is not crucial to my workflow.

I was amazed at how powerful QS was, but I never was able to integrate some of the more advanced features into my workflow. I just launched apps, used the shelf and clipboard history, and moved the occasional file/folder around if I was feeling saucy...that's about it.

LaunchBar handles the bulk of what I used QS for gracefully, and that is launching apps and accessing clipboard history. It is also great for quick file navigation, and with built in quick look support, many times I don't even have to open the file to see the info I am looking for. I guess I just wanted to try an app that was being actively developed...no complaints so far.

Still it is nice to see some activity with QS—I am still in awe of its awesomeness.

9. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

I agree. Quicksilver isn't a "must-have" .. certainly not in the
    same category as the likes of Adium. If you use instant messaging,
    and 98% of people do, that's the bee's knees. LOL.
    Why the hell I just used that term... /facepalm.

10. mindquest macrumors regular

Does Google Quick Search do everything Quicksilver did and more???? New to mac and interested to use one of these.

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Quicksilver was only a must-have when Spotlight sucked. It was the best application launcher. Now that spotlight is fast it's not as important to the general public. However, it is FAR more advanced than Spotlight or Google Quick Search Box.
    It's definitely not a must-have for the general public, but any power user knows the amazing things Quicksilver is capable of.

Google Quicksearch and Quicksilver are completely different.
    Quicksilver isn't about searching. It's about doing. Quicksilver has an interface that has two parts, a noun and a verb. You search for the noun (such as birthday gifts.txt) then you can act on it. You can either launch the text file or you can say append text: new shoes. This will add the words new shoes to the end of the text document without opening the file. There are countless things the plugins for QS can do. It's really a neat program once you get used to it. You can control just about every aspect of the OS without using the mouse.

No. Google search does one thing QS does and a whole lot less. In fact I can't think of a single reason to use Google Quicksearch over Quicksilver, simply because quicksilver does the exact same thing and more. Much, much more.