Quicksilver still ok in Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Sceneshifter, Dec 1, 2007.

1. Sceneshifter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

Hey,

I have never worked with an app called Quicksilver, but I read about it a lot on these forums and about how it was so great. Is it still nice and valuable in Leopard or has leopard made it obsolete?

I've earched some tutorials on quicksilver, and is it not just the same as spotlight in leopard?

Thanks!

2. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

I find it just as useful in Leopard as I did in Tiger.

3. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I thought I recalled seeing a Leopard-specific update to Quicksilver shortly after Leopard's release but I wasn't having any problems running it in Leopard before it.

I can't imagine OS X life without Quicksilver.

4. Sceneshifter thread starter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

So I installed it, and as far as I can see (not far) it's just the same as spotlight? I loked on internet and youtube for some etra help, but seems to be pre-spotlight or something as they all focus on the quick lookup thing, which spotlight does too?

Any recommended links & what do you use QS for with leopard?

Thanks!
    Ps: Any way to have a nicer looking skin for it? Bevel and the standard one are a bit ugly for leopard, imo.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

'Show Keyboard Viewer' isn't working over here any more...

6. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

i use qs address book plug in a lot... i like seeing my contacts photos larger in the qs command bezel and the ability to automatically attach a file and email to a contact without having to open mail, compose new message, enter email address, browse for file in finder and attach.... i also like using custom triggers... i have custom keys set to switch forward/backward songs in itunes, play/pause so i can control itunes without having to have the app up or even in the same space for that matter... i also have a keyboard shortcut to launch screensaver and quicksilver preference pane

i use the bezel interface... it is the best looking in my opinion

7. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

you actually have to install the plugins to get more features with quicksilver.
    if u don't it pretty much is the same as spotlight.

one of my most favorite plugins is the clipboard manager. that one is just very useful if you copy paste a lot.

8. Sceneshifter thread starter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

ah yes, I'm getting the hang of it, any way to disable spotlight entirely? I prefer QS already (looks wicked with that CUBE interface).

Question, is it possible to do something like this:
    -VLC Open Movie ? ike to quickly launch a movie? It doesn't seem to find my avi movies, strange?

-Mail MULTIPLE files as an attachment? (very nice feature aswell, the single file attachment)

I'll check out the cutboard thing, I copy paste a whole lot for my dissertation, I hope that function is easy to use!

The web searching (though installed) doen't seem to work. How do I google search 'Apple' for example? Just not happening here.. Same for Wiki, how does it function?

Thaks for the replies, made me have a closer look at this quite handy app!

9. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

I use it as an app launcher. I don't have all my apps in my dock, because thatd be ridiculous! It is much quicker than spotlight, Ie instantaneous, no waiting at all. I press Ctrl+Space, and then ph for Photoshop or ma for MacTheRipper etc. very useful!

The update for Leopard is because the old version couldn't hide the dock icon in Leopard, the new one can (so it runs in the background).

10. TimJim macrumors 6502a

Quicksilver works fine in Leopard. I used quicksilver in Tiger, but when i upgraded to Leopard and tested out spotlight, it was super fast and i haven't used quicksilver again.

11. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

the reason it isn't finding certain files is because you have not selected them in the catalogue... open up the preference pane and select the catalogue tab... from their select custom and add whatever folders and files you want qs access to... i have my itunes music, movies, and photos folders... if you add a folder with folders inside of it click on the info icon in the bottom right and select include folder contents up to however many levels you want... after adding new items to the catalogue click the refresh button next to the info button in the bottom right to update the catalogue

to google or wiki search from within qs command interface go to google and type in *** and search... add the resultant page to your bookmarks and name it what you want (i.e. google search or whatever) then refresh your catalogue and also make sure you have the Web Search Module plug-in installed.... then open up qs command interface and type in what you named your google bookmark and default action should be search for... then tab over and type in what you want to search.... same process can be repeated for wiki

12. Sceneshifter thread starter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

Ok thanks, that worked just perfect! Still can't seem to send movies to vlc in specific, I can find them now, press enter and they open in quicktime. But I can't select them, and then send to vlc or something, not possible?

Edit: Nevermind just figured it out, Wow!

13. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

sure it is... type in the name of your movie file... hit tab and type open with... hit tab and type vlc

Edit: Just saw your edit :)

14. Sceneshifter thread starter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

I'l having issues with selecting a file and opening suicksilver with that file selected. In a tutorial they say to press comd + escape, but that just brings up frontrow for me.. I find this rather terrible that I can't seem to find it because the image resizing stuff is really really a timesaver (as I do it in PS now...)

15. Sceneshifter thread starter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

There also seems to be NO way to make the shelf show itself? I can add files to the shelf, no problem, but ho to make it appear??

16. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

QS works great in leopard, and spotlight is no replacement for it. QS is soooo much more powerful at certain things. Spotlight has its uses too, but it certainly does not replace QS.

17. Sceneshifter thread starter macrumors 6502

Sceneshifter

after a couple of days of using QS, I absolutely love it, makes it a whole lot faster to work with osx!

So far I'm mainly using it to perform actions on selected items & to launch apps. I also use it to send quick mails (saves you quite some time imo).

What I'm wondering is, do you have any very nice triggers you set up to use with QS? ANd do you have any other favourite things (not necessarily plugins) that you do with QS?

Thanks!
    :apple:

18. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

i really like the itunes module plugin since it lets you make triggers for itunes... i have option+apple+left/right arrow keys to go back or forward songs and option+apple+up to play/pause.... for custom triggers i have option+apple+s to start my screensaver (ScreenSaverEngine available under all applications in catalogue) and option+apple+p to open qs pref pane... i wish i could find a way to set a trigger to switch my desktop background to another photo in a folder

19. Sawtooth811 macrumors 6502

Sawtooth811

It the Quicksilver is exactly the single 867MHz or faster G4, instead of the Dual 800MHz, then you're good to go. Otherwise, if you had a DUAL 800, then take your HD out of the G4, and install Leopard on a faster G4 for that HD. the dual 800 should do better than the single 867 in Leopard. Plus, GET AS MUCH RAM AS POSSIBLE!!! OS X LOVES RAM!!!:D

20. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

we're talking about the software quicksilver, not the hardware :D

21. mmccaskill macrumors 6502

I've heard a rumor that Quicksilver has been abandoned. I can't find confirmation on their website. Is there any truth to this?

22. tjevans macrumors member

tjevans

Sort of.

In a recent interview with lifehacker.com, the creator of QS basically stated that he was through with developing it.

However, it has gone open source, so anyone can pick up the ball and continue development.

But then again, Mr. Jitkoff also stated in the interview:

So, with the creator "inclined" to encourage users to move to other similar apps, I'm not quite sure what to make of it.

23. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

That's quite disheartening... :(

I'm a recent 'switcher' and I spent a good chunk of time reading LifeHacker's tutorials on using QuickSilver and learning the ropes. What can I say... QuickSilver encapsulates the power of the command-line (warning: Unix junkie here) in a very usable manner using a GUI. I absolutely love it!

I'm using the B53 version on Leopard, so far so good. Haven't had it crash on me yet, touch wood!

With QuickSilver being open sourced now, hopefully its future will be bright! :)

24. evilyankeefan macrumors regular

evilyankeefan

I had only started using QS just a few weeks ago. No problems. As I'm not deeply entrenched in using it, I can switch to something else. Funny though how I'm trying out LaunchBar and already missing QS.

Sure I can keep using QS, but I'm just a little scared if something causes it to break and the uncertainty of a fix.

25. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

I hope that quicksilver won't die a slow death...
    it is simply the best app launcher/multi purpose utility out there...
    so far I haven't had any problems with the latest build but hopefully someone will pick up qs now that it is open source.