Quicksilver users

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by charlesbronsen, Aug 31, 2009.

1. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

Are you just going to use spotlight? I sure do miss QS. Any alternatives?

2. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

Quicksilver is running just fine on my machine.

3. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

I will continue to use both. Quicksilver runs fine under SL

4. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

I'm still using quicksilver, no problems with it, and haven't found anything better yet.

5. reubs macrumors 68000

Just be careful when installing plug-ins and know exactly what you've JUST installed in case it seizes up and crashes. I had some problems with crashing, but I just deleted the previously installed plug-in, and it was great. Been running like a dream!

6. charlesbronsen thread starter macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

:eek:hmmm- must re-install then. Must be all the plug-ins I had.

7. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

i am having nothing but problems. the console shows errors as well. i cleared it's cache and re installed.

cannot open preferences (and i bet you can't either) and it takes a while to actually start running.

man i never realized how much i used quicksilver

8. Cinder6 macrumors 6502

Cinder6

Err, nice assumption. Preferences opens fine on my system

For me, the only problem with Quicksilver is that when I activate it, it always forces spaces to go to the first space. Annoying!

9. cboglio macrumors newbie

I was having the same problem when I installed SL.

1) Get an application cleaner/eraser....Appcleaner (free, recommened by MacWorld mag.)

2) Erase existing version of Quicksilver using Appcleaner. This will remove all the junk (behind the scenes files).

3) Reinstall

I did these steps and Quicksilver runs perfect.

10. devburke Guest

Make sure you’re running the newest version of QS. There’s no link from the main page, but development has continued [URL="http://code.google.com/p/blacktree-alchemy/downloads/list”]here[/URL].

11. TJMeier macrumors member

That's good to know. My version was old. However the newer one still won't launch for me.

12. devburke Guest

I believe most of the time I’ve heard of that it’s been a result of specific incompatible plugins crashing. Go to ~/Library/Application Support/Quicksilver and Trash the PlugIns folder and PlugIns.plist. Then try launching QS. (Note: Obviously if this does work, you’ll have to reinstall your plugins).

13. TJMeier macrumors member

That worked! Thanks so much for that. I had given up and installed Google's Quick Search Box. I Don't think half of those plugins were needed anyways. Thanks for the help.

14. devburke Guest

Glad to help! I actually just ran into the same issue, cuz I thought I’d try and make more use of the services by installing the services plugin, but that crashed it right away. By the way, turns out you don’t need to delete PlugIns.plist, but I don’t think it does any harm if you do. If you know which plugins are problematic, you can delete them individually from the PlugIns folder and keep the rest.

15. ncmason macrumors regular

ncmason

Honestly, I don't like using Spotlight anymore. I keep a structured folder system where I can easily access what I want very quickly. No need for SL in my opinion. QuickSilver is a lot better. More advanced.

16. reubs macrumors 68000

Yeah, it's great for launching apps (which is all I use it for), and I need to find more uses for it. Also, I'm really glad and surprised to see it continuing in development. I thought it had become abandonware, but it appears it will survive at least one more OS upgrade!

17. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

QS, in my opinion, never really made the leap to Leopard. This makes logical sense given how the developer himself abandoned it's development to go to Google and has openly suggested in interviews that stability is an issue and he is surprised more people simply haven't gone to LaunchBar (as I have) as a result.

I have tried the Google Code versions but they have been the buggiest POS I have installed on my Leopard Macs. They continually crash and/or freeze on plug in install. While I miss the Comma Trick, I am much happier now with LB which is in much more active development and remains current with the OS. More power to those who still believe in and use QS, but I can't recommend it to friends.

18. jamin100 macrumors 6502

i switched to spotlight a few weeks back. Works just as well

19. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I still don't understand the use for quicksilver and when I ask noone can seem to explain it to me. They just say "Its an app launcher!" (But so is double clicking....not sure what I'm missing).

20. str1f3 macrumors 68000

Quicksilver is more than an app launcher. You can launch terminal commands from it, control iTunes, multiple items on a clipboard, mouse gestures, launch multiple apps, bind tasks together, compose/send email, add text to documents w/o opening them, move files, shelf items to use later, add tags to files, etc. All this w/o having to leave the app. It is probably the best Mac app ever made. If you want to know more check here and go to The Apple Blog where they have a ton of stuff on this.

I loved Quicksilver but I'm in the process of moving to Launchbar. Unfortunately it is a dying project and I need things like Quick Look which proves to be very useful.

21. devburke Guest

I think QL is being worked on for the newer versions. ß56a7 already has it, in a way. The icons are now rendered with QL as previews of the document, although you can’t open a QL window, play media files, or page through documents. But I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see this in the next (or some future) update as an option for spacebar behavior.

22. str1f3 macrumors 68000

I hope you're right. I tried to dump Quicksilver for LaunchBar since SL but I wanted to try out Quicksilver again since I'm so used to it. The app crashed like 20 times on me when I tried to install certain plugins I needed (file tagging module and services module) along with the Quick Look. All of these I need for file management. While I love Quicksilver and it was my favorite app, I going to stay with LaunchBar for now.

I truly do hope the community works on this. It would be a shame that the greatest Mac app of all time would just die out from lack of support.