Quicksilver... what does it do

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Tumeg101, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

Everyone seems to be in love with quicksilver... and I can't seem to understand what it does...
    I have read about 5 sites about it, and I cant understand what it does... either I cant understand, or I do but I don't see why people are that lazy...
    Please explain it

2. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

Everything for some people, and nothing for others.

I know that is not what you are looking for, but I still had to say it.

3. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

It's almost like a spotlight feature that allows you to run or open what you can find by search. Like if you want to open a Word document "Shakespeare Notes" if you type "Shake..." and it pops up as an option, by selecting it, it will open. Similar for web sites or programs, etc.

I never could catch on to using it. It also used a lot of resources on my Powerbook. There are many people who love using it, however!

4. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

Its like a graphical spotlight.
    Quickens things up and you'll learn more about it once you start using it.
    Basically a quick launcher.

5. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I myself can't live without it. Maybe I rely on it too much because I find myself staring blankly at the screen when I am on someone else's computer and don't know what to do without it.

Even if you just use it to open applications it is worth it. Works with bookmarks also. Start typing the bookmark name and within a few letters press enter and it opens in the browser.

- James

6. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Quicksilver is very hard to explain. I can only explain what i use it for. I use Quicksilver to avoid using the Finder, i use it to control itunes, to perform searches on thottbot, wikipedia, google and many other sites, to open apps and files, to access the menu bar of my applications, to use expose... Basically, Quicksilver for me acts as a mouse replacement.

The best way to find out what quicksilver is and what it does is to start using it. It has a very steep learning curve, but when you configure it to do what you want and need to do, its irreplaceable.

7. PerfectJudgment macrumors newbie

I've recently downloaded quicksilver and started using it. I've had difficultly figuring out some of the more advanced features. I understand launching applications, but not much else. Is it really possible to use it as a mouse replacement where I wouldn't have to use the mouse at all? If so, could you point me in the direction of any helpful guides?

8. iMacBook macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

It's one of those programs where either you like it or you don't.

Personally, I love it. It control my iTunes, opens documents, opens pictures, opens movies, opens a lot of files, Heck, I can even compress a file if I needed to in QS. In addition, if I can't find something, I can make it use Spotlight and then the search will pop-up using Spotlight. It literally controls your entire computer.

9. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

Here are some helpful Quicksilver howto's. If you dont know what quicksilver does, watch these screencasts. Merlin will show you the way.

1. Application Menu's
    2. The Comma Trick
    3. Quicksilver as dictionary
    4. Quicksilver Triggers

10. blvdeast macrumors regular

Here's how I used QS today...

I wanted update Onyx, but the self-update function wasn't working so I had to force quit. I needed to know what my version was so I can go on the site and download the right update. Instead of opening the program, entering my password (required to launch it), selecting Onyx and About Onyx to see the version number, I just did the following:

Apple+Space
    Type: on
    Tab
    Type: in
    Enter

In virtually split seconds, I got the version number using only my keyboard and not being slowed down by the mouse.

11. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Have you actually installed it? Really, the only way you'll 'get it' is to install and force yourself to use it for a day or two.

Its functionality and use is very dependent on your own computer system. Its a very personalized approach to computing (meaning it's different for everyone).

12. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

Just loaded up Quicksilver. First impressions, after reading up and using it -- I think I'm hooked. I'm having fun just trying to discover what else I can do with it. :D

13. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Everything...its so awesome that some people replace the Finder with it...

14. invasian macrumors regular

invasian

haha..yea...i find myself pressing ctrl-space (what i have to invoke QS) on other people's laptops...i've also been known to do the two finger scroll...whoops