Quicksilver--What happened to it?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Watabou, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Quicksilver is my most used app on my macbook pro. But I'm amazed its still in beta. Is it dead or something? There are tons of bugs and it keeps crashing :(

So what's the news?

2. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

While it was an amazing app, one of the best I have ever seen, you can do almost the same thing with built in OS X features now.

But yes, it was discontinued, and now open-source I believe.

3. Watabou thread starter macrumors 68040

Watabou

Aww man. That sucks :(

4. reubs macrumors 68000

You can do the same, but you can't do it with the same UI, can you? I haven't found anything built in to OS X that can act like an app launcher, unless you're referring to Spotlight.

5. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

Sorry, but that's just wrong. Quicksilver is a hugely powerful application quite unlike anything else on your Mac. There is nothing else that comes close to it, even when you bundle several applications together. Application launching is just one small part of what QS can do.

To the O.P., it can be a little buggy. Do you have a lot of plugins installed? Did you get the official blacktree version? Are you getting final releases or prerelease candidates?

6. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I used to agree with this statement, but after using it for several months now, it is much more than an app launcher, and its one of the most handy mac apps i have.

7. jakdominance macrumors member

jakdominance

concur

I agree also, it is an amazing app! just wish they brought it back to life. ahh, Does anyone know of any other quicksilver-like apps? an application launcher that does more than an application launcher?

8. reclusivemonkey macrumors 6502

reclusivemonkey

Umm, its not dead? Nothing comes close to QS.

9. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

QS was using 100% CPU on startup, so I had to stop using it. It's a shame, but at least Spotlight is fast enough on this new MBP!

10. lopoz macrumors regular

Ankur (don't know if he's one of the original dev's) is cleaning up the source and fixing bugs, according to his website..

http://lipidity.com/

11. Musicmasta macrumors member

Musicmasta

12. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I tried to use Quicksilver once, but never could figure it out..

13. mason.kramer macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

Anyone who believes the guy that says that Mac OS X can do anything that Quicksilver can do is making an error of judgement that is approximately as large, and world-consequent, as having believed G.W. when he said that Saddam Hussein had WMD's in 2003.

14. jakdominance macrumors member

jakdominance

Thanks a bunch! According to some comments, he's still working on it, and has some code up on Google code projects and should be finishing cleaning it up soon!

Whoo!

15. numlock macrumors 68000

never reached such a high cpu usage but it did go up if the catalog for quicksilver to index was too big

16. jakdominance macrumors member

jakdominance

quicksilver problems - mouse triggers

anybody have the problem where mouse triggers only works once and then doesn't work until you go into the triggers menu and click the trigger? :confused: i like the trigger cause it's like using expose times five.