Quicktime 10 - play video automatically?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sejanus, Aug 29, 2009.

1. sejanus macrumors regular

hey guys

On the old version of quicktime there was a option in the preferences to start the video playing straight away

In this new version on snow leopard, when you double click a video, quicktime loads it but you still need to press play.

I can't see a option anywhere to make it play vids straight away. Am I missing something obvious?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i hate that this is missing in QuickTime X. looks like the ill have to use Quick Look or QuickTime 7.

3. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

QuickTime X doesn't even have a "Preferences" option in the menu. Wouldn't you know that when they finally fix the enlarge window button in QT but they screw something else up. :p

4. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

I have to wonder if the lack of preferences is intentional? Meaning, it's a Mac, its supposed to be so simple and easy. I sure as heck miss autoplay, it doesn't seem to remember the control bar desired position, but I like the fast response and the fact it plays HD, plus it plays .wmv without importing first via Flip4Mac. Some basic preferences still keeps it simple and easy, unlike alot of Windows products with a zillion options to appease EVERYONE. Which is impossible. So I'm not complaining toooooo loudly.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Code:
    defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGPlayMovieOnOpen 0
    Enter this in Terminal.

6. pimas23 macrumors newbie

The right code would be:

defaults write com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX MGPlayMovieOnOpen 1

The "1" a t the end means "yes", while the "0" means "no". So if you want to change it back you go with the "0" at the end.

Cheers!

7. Ferra macrumors newbie