Quicktime 7.0.1 Released

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Now available via Software Update for QuickTime 7.0 users:
QuickTime 7.0.1 provides several important bug fixes, a security enhancement, and improved compatibility with Final Cut Studio. This update is recommended for all QuickTime 7 users. For detailed information on the security enhancement, please visit this website:

http://www.info.apple.com/kbnum/n61798

Important Notice to QuickTime Pro Users
Installation of QuickTime 7 will disable the QuickTime Pro functionality in prior versions of QuickTime, such as QuickTime 5 or QuickTime 6. If you proceed with this installation, you must purchase a new QuickTime 7 Pro key to regain QuickTime Pro functionality. After installation, visit www.apple.com/quicktime to purchase a QuickTime 7 Pro key.

iMetalG5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2005
If I have QT 7 Pro now... and download update I should still be good right? thanks for clarification.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
You know, I really find it annoying how I'm supposed to re-purchase a new QT Pro key every time they release updates.

I know, I know, you have to pay for major upgrades for any software package, but ... this really should have come with Tiger.

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Downloaded and installed, now going to ifilm.com to see if my problems have been fixed. Also, I see that when I clicked on a movie trailer in the content browser that came up when I restarted, The Davinci Code was the movie, it opened iTunes to see the trailer. Then when I clicked on Large, it took up the whole screen, with play, exit button, banner bar and the full screen qt movie. Hmmmmm. and my ifilm.com problems not solved. Still a Q with a white ? mark.

Attachments

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
it is really stupid that they would have such a policy, don't many other companies offer free updates? i know for limewire pro its like 3 free updates or something like that

MacsAre1

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2005
Florida
I would have had it downloaded sooner if not for Software Update's continual refusal to install software if I select "Download Only." :( Installed now, and I don't notice any problems yet. Although I didn't notice any problems before, either.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
millhouse said:
this is all nice and good, but i'd really like to see it out for windows!
Yes me too. I really would like it to be out as soon as possible so I can start distributing h264 content to all my friends.

Brize

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2004
Europe
What is it with the two Help menus in QT7? A minor annoyance I know, but I thought they'd have rectified that in 7.0.1. Seems not.

Windowlicker

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
Finland
biohazard_6969 said:
it is really stupid that they would have such a policy, don't many other companies offer free updates? i know for limewire pro its like 3 free updates or something like that
Well, you most likely have more than three free updates on QuickTime too.
But, I still think you should get the pro license when purchasing Tiger since Panther users can have the same app too. That's a bit unfair in my point of view.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
notjustjay said:
You know, I really find it annoying how I'm supposed to re-purchase a new QT Pro key every time they release updates.

I know, I know, you have to pay for major upgrades for any software package, but ... this really should have come with Tiger.
I think the better thing to have done would have been to enable the features which can be easily and legally hacked - like full screen mode (hackable via AppleScript) - standard and make the Pro version really just those features useful mainly to the prosumer market.

animefan_1

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
New York
biohazard_6969 said:
Of course this statement totally disregards the fact that it has been almost three years since QT 6 was released (and you didn't have to repurchase an QT Pro update between the initial 6.0 release up to the most recent 6.5.2 update).

Also, while there are a bunch of companies who do free updates, there are also a bunch that don't: Microsoft, Adobe, Avid, Symantec, Intuit and Apple (of course).

Yes, there are upgrade paths for programs like FCP, Office and Photoshop, but $29 isn't too much for an upgrade.

Just because Apple (or anyone else) may be able to give software (updates) away for free doesn't mean they have to.

animefan_1

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2002
New York
Brize said:
What is it with the two Help menus in QT7? A minor annoyance I know, but I thought they'd have rectified that in 7.0.1. Seems not.
Do you have DivX installed? I think that's a bug with DivX 5.2.1 and QT 7.

confirmed

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2001
New York, NY
Brize said:
this is actually a bug with the Divx plug-in.. if you remove that, the second help menu goes away. there are actually a couple other bugs that Divx causes.. problems with minimizing quicktime movies, as well as the curser not hiding in some full-screen games.

currently i'm using MPlayer for Divx content until an updated Quicktime plug-in is released.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
iMetalG5 said:
If I have QT 7 Pro now... and download update I should still be good right? thanks for clarification.
notjustjay said:

Just to clarify, the update from QuickTime 7.0 to QuickTime 7.0.1 does not affect QuickTime Pro, but updating from QuickTime 6.0 or earlier to QuickTime 7.0 or later does disable the QuickTime Pro features until/unless you buy a new QuickTime Pro key.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
animefan_1 said:
Yes, there are upgrade paths for programs like FCP, Office and Photoshop, but $29 isn't too much for an upgrade.
Problem is, QTPro doesn't have any "upgrade" pricing. You get QTPro for 29$US, and that's it. If you want to upgrade later on, it's still 29$US. There's no "upgrade price" like 9.99$ or even 19.99$.

Sure, 29$US isn't expensive for what QTPro can do, but I still believe the regular QT should at LEAST have the "full-screen" option. It's completely stupid to make regular folks pay 29$US to play movies in full-screen.

(FYI: I paid my QTPro license for the export options, not the full-screen playback capability.)

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
millhouse said:
this is all nice and good, but i'd really like to see it out for windows!
exactly, how do they expect h.264 to take off if they haven't even released quicktime for windows?

it's kinda nuts imho. i'm sure it's not that difficult to do. something tells me they're being difficult on purpose.

ebally

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2004
London, UK
This is getting silly now... I was hoping the this update would fix the question mark problem I was having with IGN QuickTime movies, but no such luck. Maybe things will be better with QuickTime 7.0.2?

javiercr

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2005
London
For what i read in the apple site this is only a security update, however it's 26Mb, which must pretty much replace the entire program!

also the Pro update only referst to version pre 7, you don't have to pay to update from 7 pro to 7.0.1 pro!

dstorey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2002
asif786 said:
exactly, how do they expect h.264 to take off if they haven't even released quicktime for windows?

it's kinda nuts imho. i'm sure it's not that difficult to do. something tells me they're being difficult on purpose.
Have you not thought of the fact that Quicktime is a big piece of software,and they can't just wave a magic wand and make a windows version appear. For QT7 on OS X they rewrote Quicktime player in cocoa, using QtKit. I believe they also rewrote the quicktime api to simplify it for developers and make it work in a more cocoa way. last time I checked cocoa doesn't exist on Windows, so the port to windows is not just a simple recompile.