Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Now available via Software Update:
QuickTime 7.1.1 addresses an issue with 3rd party start-up items on Intel Macs. This release also fixes an issue exporting Keynote presentations to iDVD.

Important Notice to QuickTime Pro Users
Installation of QuickTime 7 will disable the QuickTime Pro functionality in prior versions of QuickTime, such as QuickTime 5 or QuickTime 6. If you proceed with this installation, you must purchase a new QuickTime 7 Pro key to regain QuickTime Pro functionality. After installation, visit www.apple.com/quicktime to purchase a QuickTime 7 Pro key.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Of course, if you already have a version 7 key, you don't need to do anything else. ;)

I thought I'd missed this update while I was offline last week. I guess I was right on time, seeing it in Software Update before seeing it posted anywhere.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
49 MB WOW - so does this make h.264 exports quicker and resolve Browser crashes with Quicktime movies on :rolleyes:

EDIT : i just rebooted and all my fonts seems to be well weird system wide ? any ideas ** All ok now i forgot i just set screen settings without rebooting

ero87

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2006
New York City
oy, they make having the Pro Key totally useless...

Any chance of Apple ever making full-screen a non-pro function? It's a little ridiculous.

finalcoolman

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2005
Did they release 7.1.1 for Windows, or is this Mac only and Windows XP version still at 7.1? Thanks,

AvSRoCkCO1067

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2005
CO
ero87 said:

Any chance of Apple ever making full-screen a non-pro function? It's a little ridiculous.

You don't need to purchase a new Pro key with this update...only major (i.e. an entire number upgrade) updates, such as QuickTime 6 -> QuickTime 7.

But I'm with you - hopefully Leopard's QuickTime 8 will offer full-screen without purchasing a pro package.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
ero87 said:
Full screen is only restricted by the QT Player application's menubar, not by the QT subsystem itself. A quick AppleScript can be used instead.

Use the Script Editor to create the following one-line AppleScript:
Code:
tell application "QuickTime Player" to present movie 1
Compile this and save it to ~/Library/Scripts. Use the AppleScript Utility to enable the menu-bar icon for AppleScripts.

Now, when your movie is playing, use the AppleScript menu to activate that script you created. Voilla! Your movie is playing full-screen.

I've noticed some minor weird behavior if you turn off full-screen mode while the movie is playing (the sound seems to go away), but this isn't a big deal. If you quit and restart the player, the movie will once again play fine in its window. A minor inconvenience if this is the only QT-Pro feature you want to use.

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
So does that mean that the Adobe CS2 Version Cue will work on Intel Macs now???????

VanNess

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
California
ero87 said:

You can also just drop your QT clips into iTunes which will play them back in full screen mode.

blufire

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2002
KindredMAC said:
So does that mean that the Adobe CS2 Version Cue will work on Intel Macs now???????

I'm interested in this issue as well... does the QT 7.1.1 update address the Adobe CS2 startup hang issue?

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
blufire said:
I'm interested in this issue as well... does the QT 7.1.1 update address the Adobe CS2 startup hang issue?
Probably not. It doesn't fix the Burning Monkey Puzzle Lab startup hang issue.

I'm on my way to file a bug report with Apple....

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
shamino said:
Probably not. It doesn't fix the Burning Monkey Puzzle Lab startup hang issue.

I'm on my way to file a bug report with Apple....

Strange, I hadn't run Burning Monkey Puzzle Lab since QuickTime 7.1 came out. Hangs for me too :(.

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
mduser63 said:
Strange, I hadn't run Burning Monkey Puzzle Lab since QuickTime 7.1 came out. Hangs for me too :(.
Fortunately, you can go back. From Apple's download site, you can get the QuickTime 7.0.1 reinstaller, and then the QuickTime 7.0.4 installer. BMPL works fine with 7.0.4.

I hope Apple and/or Freeverse fixes this soon....

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
shamino said:
Fortunately, you can go back. From Apple's download site, you can get the QuickTime 7.0.1 reinstaller, and then the QuickTime 7.0.4 installer. BMPL works fine with 7.0.4.

Thanks for letting me know. To be honest, I don't play BMPL much anymore, so waiting until they fix it isn't too big of a deal.

Sleix

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2003
Sacramento, CA
Wonder if this helps solve the issue between Quicktime and KB 908531 on Windows XPx64/2003 installs. Lovely mistake that one was.

EDIT: OH bummer, no 7.1.1 for Winders. ;) OH well, my mac will like it.

tk421

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2005
Los Angeles
shamino said:
Full screen is only restricted by the QT Player application's menubar, not by the QT subsystem itself. A quick AppleScript can be used instead.

Use the Script Editor to create the following one-line AppleScript:
Code:
tell application "QuickTime Player" to present movie 1
Compile this and save it to ~/Library/Scripts. Use the AppleScript Utility to enable the menu-bar icon for AppleScripts.

Now, when your movie is playing, use the AppleScript menu to activate that script you created. Voilla! Your movie is playing full-screen.

I've noticed some minor weird behavior if you turn off full-screen mode while the movie is playing (the sound seems to go away), but this isn't a big deal. If you quit and restart the player, the movie will once again play fine in its window. A minor inconvenience if this is the only QT-Pro feature you want to use.

Thanks. That's very helpful. I have QuickTime Pro at home, but whenever I am at my parents house and I try to play a movie trailer full screen, I get the whole "Please purchase QuickTime Pro" thing.

Do you know if it's possible to have a scripts menu just in QuickTime Player instead of system wide? That's how my iTunes scripts are. They show up in a menu just before the help menu. I tried creating a scripts folder in ~/Library/QuickTime Player/ just like my iTunes one and it didn't do anything.

encro

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2002
bendigo.victoria.au
KindredMAC said:

Yes it fixes the version cue issue :)

"Problems with installing and running Adobe’s Creative Suite 2 (CS2) were tracked down to Apple’s QuickTime 7.1 update. Apple released QuickTime 7.1.1 yesterday to fix these issues and allow CS2 to operate properly."
From Macworld (http://www.macworld.com/news/2006/06/01/adobe/index.php)

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/333083.html
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/333087.html
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/333096.html
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/329781.html

ccrandall77

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
Franklin, WI
Hoping this would fix video sharing problem, but it didn't.

I don't know if anyone else is having this issue, but for some reason I cannot get videos on my iMac G5 to run on my Mac Mini (Intel) and MacBook reliably. I have no issues though running them on our iBook or Powerbook. I was hoping this update would fix the issue, but sadly it does not.

What'll happen is that using Front Row or iTunes as a client on my Intel machines and then trying to access TV shows purchased from iTunes will result in iTunes locking up about 98% of the time. If by some miracle I can view the TV show on the client machine, it'll only work one time and after that subsequent attempts will lock iTunes.

It's not an authentication issue and the network has plenty of bandwidth. Anyone else seeing this?

shamino

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2004
Purcellville, VA
shamino said:

Update: Freeverse released a workaround. http://www.freeverse.com/bmpl/. This "update" disables the background music (by renaming the folder in the application package where they're located), allowing the game to play under QT 7.1.

They acknowledged (in an e-mail) that this is not a proper fix, but they say Apple will have to fix their QT bug to fix this properly. In the meanwhile, I'll just have to play iTunes in the background....

Collin973

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2006
Does any one know if this updates the version IE7 beta 2 uses? I didnt have time to read over all of the posts, but i'd like to know since i've had problems with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.