QuickTime 7.5.5 and Apples 1080p Trailers

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Archive, Nov 29, 2008.

1. Archive macrumors member

Hi there,

so I remember when QuickTime was upgraded to 7.5 I believe it was, all the 1080p trailers stopped playing smoothly on a lot of people's Macs.

Now there was a problem when people had Perian installed, since that would slow down the H.264 decoding of the 1080p trailers, but I am now talking about just QuickTime (no Perian installed).

A look at the activity monitor shows that QT's CPU usage never goes above 100% (indicating that it is utilizing only one core of my MBP C2D), while it used to in older versions like 7.0 (where Apples 1080p trailers played smooth as butter).

When I check out the info sheet while playing the movie in Quicktime it basically claims that the movie is running at 23.98, even in the choppy sequences.

This is not a problem with the file or that my hardware is too slow, since older versions played back these files smoothly, and so does Plex. However I'd prefer to use QuickTime.

So what gives? Are you guys experiencing the same thing? I would be thankful for anybody's input.

If you can spare the time, really download a 1080p trailer from apple and play it in quicktime and then play it in plex, both full-screen and tell me if you are having the choppiness as well.

Thanks for any help!

Mac OS X 10.5.5 Leopard
    Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo 2.33 Ghz, 3 GB RAM (2+1), Ati x1600
    QuickTime 7.5.5

2. kolax macrumors G3

Yeah, when I play 1080p trailers, QuickTime only uses 90-105% CPU (however it is using both cores, the load is split equally).

General playback is kind of smooth, but during intense scenes, I get about 10fps. Guess we all need the new Macs that have H.264 enabled GPU decoding ;)