QuickTime 7 crashes on pressing 'Export'?!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ericksgotmac, Sep 16, 2009.

1. ericksgotmac macrumors regular

When I upgraded to Snow Leopard I thought that Quicktime X was supposed to be better. -.- ...NOT the case! I usually obtain .mkv movies with DTS or AC3 audio which I can't play since I don't have a receiver right now. So I have this system set up:

1. MKMerger- Remove Subtitles and alternate audio.
    2. Quicktime 7- Export to .mp4 with passthrough video and convert audio
    3. VisualHUB- Process it into .mp4 with passthrough video and audio
    4. MetaX- Tag the movie with cover art and other metadata

But since I upgraded to Snow Leopard, Quicktime 7 has been shutting down as soon as I press Export? Which puts a huge dent in everything since that was the only way for me to go from 1080p .mkv w/DTS(AC3) to 1080p .mp4 with stereo.

Can anyone help me with this?

2. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    I'm sorry I don't know.

But I think you should change the title of your post because "huge problem" is not so relevant. I think you'll get more answers if you the title is more specific.

Tex ;)

3. zerostar macrumors regular

Why are you doing step 2 and not just going to VisualHub? What are you ultimately doing with this video in the end? Apple TV?

4. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

Use Handbrake to convert the video. Works every time for me. However, I had to download and compile the latest source, rather than using 0.9.3 which is the already-compiled version on the website.

Instructions to compile it yourself are here. It's really not that difficult.

5. ericksgotmac thread starter macrumors regular

I tried going through VisualHub alone but the results are horrible. The picture is all pixelated and the movie becomes unwatchable. By running it through Quicktime 7 first and converting the .mkv to .mp4 it works fine but then I can't tag it with MetaX. I found out if I use Quicktime 7 and then VisualHUB with just passthrough on video and audio so it only takes about 5 mins, it stays the same quality AND I can tag it in MetaX without any problems at all.

6. ericksgotmac thread starter macrumors regular

I don't need to convert the video, that would take hours and is pointless. I just need to convert the audio and then have it all packaged nicely in a .mp4 format WITH the original 1080p video.

7. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

I had some issues with QT7 on 10.6. The 10.6.1 update fixed them. Do you have 10.6.1?

As an aside, one of the annoyances I have with QT7 on Snow Leopard is that I can only do one export at a time. I could do multiple exports on Leopard, but this is a step backward on SL.

8. ericksgotmac thread starter macrumors regular

I do have SL 10.6.1 and its not working at all. Should I try a fresh install with selecting QT7 instead of installing it after?

9. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

Is there anything in your Console.app that might shed some light on why QT7 is crashing?

10. ericksgotmac thread starter macrumors regular

All it says is...

-[NSProcessInfo enableSuddenTermination] has been invoked more times than necessary to balance invocations of -[NSProcessInfo disableSuddenTermination]. Ignoring.

I have no idea what thats means :confused: