Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

starla76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Does anyone know how to play AVI files that have the ac3 audio componant? I get a great picture but no sound. I have already tried to install the ac3 codec and my Mac mini crashes everytime.
One more question, to try to sidestep this problem I would like to make Windows Media Player my default player and I can't figure out how to do it! It won't play AVI files. Someone help! I just want to play my torrents (TV shows and movies) and get sound! Thanks!

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Expect a lot of people to recommend using VLC player—it's great!

Here's a link, it'll play just about anything you can throw at it.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14738

Ugh... Windows Media Player ;)

To associate a file with a particular media player, select the file, press command + I (i.e., apple + i) and choose "open with." There you can select the media player you want to use for that file, as well as make that the default player for all files of that same type (by selecting "change all" after you've set up your preference for that particular file).

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Another vote for VLC. It plays them just fine and you can do Full Screen without having to use iTunes or Front Row. Not sure why you would prefer Windows Media Player, I only keep a copy of it around for those occasions I need to view a WMV file, but I shudder at the thought of it being my default player.

starla76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2005
Regarding VLC

Thanks guys for your help. As a relatively new mac user I wasn't aware of this software. I'm no fan of WMP but I didn't know what else to do.

Can't wait to try it! :eek:

Starla

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
starla76 said:
Does anyone know how to play AVI files that have the ac3 audio componant? I get a great picture but no sound. I have already tried to install the ac3 codec and my Mac mini crashes everytime.
One more question, to try to sidestep this problem I would like to make Windows Media Player my default player and I can't figure out how to do it! It won't play AVI files. Someone help! I just want to play my torrents (TV shows and movies) and get sound! Thanks!
You can download and install the DivX Fusion (aka DivX 6 beta) and AC3 QuickTime codecs. As for making Windows Media Player your default player, it already is your default player for the media types that it can play. Just download and install it if you have not done so. And another thing, don't discuss pirated content on this forum. It can get you booted off.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
MisterMe said:
You can download and install the DivX Fusion (aka DivX 6 beta) and AC3 QuickTime codecs. As for making Windows Media Player your default player, it already is your default player for the media types that it can play. Just download and install it if you have not done so. And another thing, don't discuss pirated content on this forum. It can get you booted off.
FYI, that AC3 codec doesn't work with QuickTime 7.0.2 (possibly 7.0 and up). I wish it did, but until Apple decides to address this issue we are stuck with VLC or trancoding the AC3 to AAC (losing the surround sound).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.