Quicktime Aspect Ratio problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by blue439, Mar 24, 2009.

1. blue439 macrumors newbie

I have a 2.35 aspect ratio video in an AVI file that I want to burn to letterboxed 16x9 dvd. I tried to export the file to MPEG-2 but it only had 4:3 and 16:9 ratios. What I want is the original 2.35 video with black bars on the top and bottom in a 16x9 dvd. How do I do this in Quicktime? Or any other software if QT can't do it? Thanks.

2. jackerin macrumors 6502a

I think ffmpegX can export to 2.35:1, but there is a way to do it with Quicktime (Pro, which I assume you have) too.

First you make an image with the dimensions of the 16:9 screen (so you make it the same width, but the height according to 16:9). Then you open that image in Quicktime player, select all and copy. After that you add it to the AVI, using the scale to fit. The image will now cover the video, so go to movie properties and select the select the second video track, which should be the picture. Change the Layer of it to 2 (or a number higher than the layer of the video). After that you can use the offset boxes to place the video track where you want it.