Quicktime .avi Problems

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jmanp17, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Jmanp17 macrumors member

I have an Avi Video that I'm playing with Quicktime. It is a MJPG whatever that means. It only plays sound but no video, just blank black screen. Please Help! BTW I run a Mac OS X 10.4.11, if that helps you figure it out!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Has it played before?
    Have you installed Perian?
    Have you tried VLC Player?

3. Jmanp17 thread starter macrumors member

NO it hasn't played before
    yes I just downloaded Perian, but Could you tell me how to use it?
    And my mac doesn't meet the requirements for VLC.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You just install it, maybe restart QuickTime. Perian installs itself as aSystem Preference pane, thus you might take a look at it and see, if it is running.​

Download an older 0.8.x version here

5. Jmanp17 thread starter macrumors member

VLC worked! Now I have a new problem though. I tried to import it to imovie but it says File Could not Be Imported: Unknown Error. Is there another program I can put my clips in to make a montage with? Or is there a simple solution?

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

iMovie does not work with .avi files.

Use MPEG Streamclip (www.squared5.com) to transcode the .avi files to .mov files using the DV or Apple Intermediate Codec for video and leave the sound Uncompressed.

If you use MRoogle. you will find plenty of threads about getting .avi files into iMovie.

7. Jmanp17 thread starter macrumors member

I downloaded that DV thing, now what? How do you transcode?

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Since I'm too lazy too search or type*, I just copy/paste a part of an unfinished posting of mine. Just "replace" DVD with .avi and follow steps 2.1+.

2.0 Opening a ripped video DVD in MPEG Streamclip

2.0.1 MPEG Streamclip > File > Open DVD (SHIFT+CMD+O)

[​IMG]

2.0.2 Browse to the VIDEO_TS folder of your choice and click Select
    [​IMG]

2.0.3 Many video DVDs come with several titles (menu, trailers, extras, film, ...), thus make sure you select the correct title, which might involve some trial and error though.
    [​IMG]

2.0.4 A successful opened video DVD looks like this:
    [​IMG]

2.1 Transcode the MPEG-2 encoded video for iMovie, Final Cut Express and Final Cut Pro - Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC)

2.1.1 MPEG Streamclip > File > Export to QuickTime ... (CMD+E)

[​IMG]

2.1.2 Export Settings for the Apple Intermediate Codec for PAL DVDs

[​IMG]

Choose the AIC for Compression (video) and Uncompressed for Sound.
    If you have an NTSC DVD, select DV-NTSC or Unscaled.​

* That "DV thing" is called MPEG Streamclip and DV is short for "Digital Video" and is used for codecs and tape formats, it is no actual software title.

[​IMG]

DV Cassettes
    [​IMG]

9. Jmanp17 thread starter macrumors member

I can't even find the thing I downloaded! Whats It called?

10. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

MPEG Streamclip. Use Spotlight or the Safari (browser) Download window and its loupe icon (Show in Finder) to find it.

Is this your first Mac and how long have you been using it?

What if one is an atheist or an agnostic?

11. advres Guest

advres

12. Jmanp17 thread starter macrumors member

says nothing was found, and this is my first and ive been using it for 2 years.

Are there any other movie programs I can use other than imovie

13. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Are you sure you have downloaded it correctly?

Btw, .avi is only a format/container for a variety of codecs, mostly codecs with high compression, thus .avi is not really a recommended editing format (except with Premiere Pro, but it uses proper codecs).
    Therefore your search for an editing application, that is capable of editing .avi files, most likely ones with high compression (Divx, Xvid, ...), will only bring pain to your older Mac. It is easier to transcode the .avi files to a proper format (like the one I pointed to), to stress the CPU less, as those codecs I mentioned (Divx, Xvid, ...) are CPU intensive, especially in an editing application.

But as I have written this many times before, you might find a post of mine explaining it more thoroughly via MRoogle (link can be found via search engine).

You could give Adobe Premiere Pro a 30-day try and see for yourself, if it handles your .avi files to your liking.

14. advres Guest

advres

If they were they would be smarter than this :D

15. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

To be honest, I started with .avi files, the FAST AV Master recorded the high quality S-VHS footage with that format and used its own codec.

Adobe Premiere 5 used .avis too, only since moving to Avid and FCP I learnt of all those other nifty formats, and with AMA one could even use H264 encoded footage now. I guess Avid is moving into the consumer market and will take away iMovie some day or another. It is simpler anyway (and I mean that last part without sarcasm, I could never use iMovie or iDVD, they are too "complicated" for me, especially after using Avid or DVDSP - Encore is complicated though, I could never create a simple DVD as simple as I could with DVDSP - wow, the part in brackets is longer than the part outside).