Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
I am capturing a video uaing quicktime but I need a way to capture the video to an external harddrive as the tape is 6 hours long.

I have tried fcpx and imovie 10 but both of them stutter when trying to capture from my Canopus ADVC 55.

Is there any other capture software that will work with the FireWire canopus and Mac os 10.12?

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
I am away from home right now, but I know I am running a Western Digital Red 2TB through usb 3.0.

But I will post results later.

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Are the videos stuttering when viewing/editing or are they dropping frames during capture? Do you get a dropped frame warning?

In other words, how do you know the video stutters? Just asking because the video could have been captured correctly (without dropped frames), but it takes some CPU to decode it for viewing.

Last edited:

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Well that drive sounds like it should be fine, but have you tried capturing to your internal drive for a test? I think the Canopus ADVC 55 is more than 10 years old however, so maybe it just isn't compatible with newer hardware/operating systems. Do you have an older machine you can test it on? I'm working on a project that involves capturing a few hundred old DV tapes from a Sony deck that has a firewire interface. I'm using a 2012 Mini like the one in your signature and don't have any problems. I primarily use MacOSX 10.8.5 however.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.