Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
I am having trouble playing some videos on QuickTime. It brings me to this site to download some codecs but I have no clue which I"m suppose to download. Some help?

scan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
Will Cheyney said:
What froze?

my laptop. when i tried playing the file after I moved all the files into library/quicktime it froze. I had to take the battery out

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
scan said:
I had to take the battery out
Try not to do that. Press and hold the power button for 5-10 seconds until it shuts down if it freezes in future.

Will Cheyney

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2005
United Kingdom
yellow said:
If by that, you mean:

I don't suggest downloading random things from random people.
Haha! I'm not out to 'get' anyone... I'm just trying to help!
You would have needed to restart your machine after installing those files anyway in order for Quicktime to pick them up.

Hope this helps!

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Will Cheyney said:
Haha! I'm not out to 'get' anyone... I'm just trying to help!

I realize that, but I don't know you from a hole in the wall, and just because you say you're on the level, certainly doesn't make it so.

No offense, I'm sure you're on the level and all. I'm just trying to educate the OP that random trust is a good way to compromised computers.

Will Cheyney

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2005
United Kingdom
Fair enough. For what it's worth though, all my assistance is genuine. What would I gain from distributing malicious content... Then again, what doesn't anyone gain? Doesn't stop it from existing though :confused:

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Will Cheyney's just trying to be helpful, and that's good, but out of the codecs in that package the only two you need to play *almost* all videos you'll find (certainly any "mainstream" AVI) is the 3ivX codec and the DivX one. Both can be downloaded free (3ivx.com and divx.com), and if you install those two you should be good to go.

Also, if you're running QT7, you should download the beta of DivX 6--5 works, but causes some funkyness. The beta of 6 (called "DivX Fusion" now) has been entirely stable for me, and resolves the issues.

The download link is here (scroll down):
http://labs.divx.com/archives/cat_divx_pro_mac.html
or it can be downloaded directly from this link:
http://download.divx.com/labs/DivXFusionBeta1.dmg

scan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
thx for all the help guys. i didn't bother downloadind divx. i just downloaded mplayer and it works fine.

and about the battery thing, I wish I knew about the holding power button because I dented my battery when I dropped it on the floor :mad:

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
yellow said:
If by that, you mean:

I don't suggest downloading random things from random people.

Don't be so paranoid! All that link is, is a bunch of QuickTime Codecs put into a zip file. Jeez! We all have Macs here, not PCs that can adopt viruses from zip files.

Danksi

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2005
Nelson, BC. Canada
mklos said:
Don't be so paranoid! All that link is, is a bunch of QuickTime Codecs put into a zip file. Jeez! We all have Macs here, not PCs that can adopt viruses from zip files.

I think the comment was simply meant as a reminder that not all/everyone is what it appears on the web - and perhaps we are protected a little more than PC users, but prevention is better than a cure.

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
scan said:
my laptop. when i tried playing the file after I moved all the files into library/quicktime it froze. I had to take the battery out

ROFL!!!!

"I HAD TO TAKE THE BATTERY OUT"

I'm sorry to hear dat...

scan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2005
Danksi said:
Hey! Scan's a recent entrant to the Mac world - give him some advice, not bad spelling.:rolleyes:

yeah I am. i feel really noob, i won't lie

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
Danksi said:
Hey! Scan's a recent entrant to the Mac world - give him some advice, not bad spelling.:rolleyes:

"Scan's a recent entrant to the Mac world"
i don't get tis...

"give him some advice, not bad spelling"
I'm too used to IM not that i don't know how to spell "that"...anyway, wtv...

scan said:
yeah I am. i feel really noob, i won't lie

I'm not saying you're noob or anything, i just find the battery taking out thing funny...sry if u got offended in anyway though...

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
mklos said:

I don't find that to be paranoid at all.

I could easily adopt a quick and simple shell script that would effectively erase whatever I wanted and "package" it as a "Quicktime codec in a zip file". I could easily offer it up to someone on a forum. I could easily erase their home directory.

I am NOT saying this is what Will Cheyney has done, or intended to do in any way, shape, or form. What I am saying is the OP should simply download from a 'reputable source' to minimize potential problems.

Call that paranoia if you want, but there's a lot more computer users out there who don't have a clue and are easy targets of malicious 'fun'. Having a Mac doesn't protect you from yourself.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.