Quicktime component for Intel Core Duo 2 on MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Zach LaPerriere, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Zach LaPerriere macrumors newbie

Well, I'm no technie, but I've owned a Macs since the spring of '84 and this one is driving me nuts!

I have a second Macbook Pro, brand new, the 2.5 ghz Intel Core Duo 2 processor and all I want to do is watch a Quicktime video.

When I try, I'm taken to the Apple Quicktime component download page. And it says if you have an Intel Processor, contact them.

Great, but no luck. I can't find anything anywhere. Not in searches, nothing. And this should be so straightforward...

And thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Zach

2. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Does the video play on your other Mac? If it's a "QuickTime video" (is it a .mov?) that doesn't play in either version of QuickTime, there's probably something wrong with the file. I'd guess you have an .avi file using a non-native Quicktime codec.

Download Perian, a QuickTime plugin that allows QuickTime to play just about anything. If that doesn't work, try VLC (get the Intel build).

If that still doesn't work, chances are no one can watch the video you've got.

3. Zach LaPerriere thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much...

Telecomm,

You hit it right on the head. It was a (an?) .avi, however that is pronounced. While Perian didn't do the job, VLC did.

It felt like I was looking for a needle in a haystack, and you pointed right to it. Thanks a lot, again. I am impressed, and grateful.

On the other end, I am surprised how little support Apple gives online, or at least that I can find. I had a simple issue with resetting my Airport Extreme, a so-called "hard reset" that nothing online could resolve. Thankfully the kind Canadian fellow at Apple Support had it pegged immediately.

This is a heck of a solid forum.

All the best,

Zach

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Perian didnt play an avi? can you please quote what codec it has? to check open in VLC, press cmd+I, open the Advanced Stats tab and look under Stream 1.

5. Zach LaPerriere thread starter macrumors newbie

I may have been mistaken...

Hey Rich,

I'm realizing how little I know about this stuff...

When I tried playing the .avi file on Quicktime I was trying to play it straight from a website (without downloading.) When I installed Perian, I tried again from the same site, with no luck. After installing VLC, it played.

I could buy Quicktime Pro to download the file and check the information you asked for, but I'd rather download Quicktime Pro on my other computer, which is unavailable right now. If you'd still like me to give it a try, I'm happy to.

So it's pretty clear to me I still don't know much about this stuff...

All the best,

Zach