Quicktime, could this possibly be a VIRUS??

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sahmuald, Dec 12, 2007.

1. sahmuald macrumors newbie

So I have this problem... It seems every time I open quicktime, my hard disk space starts decreasing. When I try to close it, it won't close. I have to Force Quit in the end. I just recently downloaded and installed a few new codecs, from seemingly reliable sources. What could be wrong with it, and how do I get back the space it has drained from me?
    I didn't think macs GOT viruses like this in the first place. AARRGH!

ps I meekly take everything back if this happens to be due to my own stupidity

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

For a start what were those codecs and where did you get them from.

You can use Whatsize or diskinventoryx to see what is taking up your HD space which would be a useful troubleshooting step.

It could be a runaway log file.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

i think safer way is to use VLC, quicktime is a myth, don't try to enhance it in varies ways. not worth it IMHO.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Clearly, you have not a clue what QuickTime is. For your information, QuickTime is the set of audio-visual frameworks of MacOS/MacOS X. Every graphics-compatible MacOS X application--whether it is Final Cut Pro or Microsoft Word 2004 uses these frameworks. What you incorrectly believe to be QuickTime, the QuickTime Player/QuickTime Pro, is merely another application which is based on the QuickTime frameworks. "What about QuickTime for Windows?" you ask. QuickTime for Windows is a massive port of the QuickTime frameworks to Microsoft's OS.

5. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

Let me interject with the standard comment on "Virus" vs. "You downloaded and installed something yourself, but you don't quite know what it is or where it really came from (and now, presumably, bad stuff is happening)".

... which is what you seem to have done. So no, it's not a virus. A "virus" is an application that spreads itself by exploiting software vulnerabilities. It usually has self-replicating abilities and can pass from one use to the next seemingly by itself.

If you went somewhere and downloaded and installed software that does bad stuff, that's not a virus. That just bad practices.

6. sahmuald thread starter macrumors newbie

my mistake

Well, ok fair crack about the not technically a virus... Then again, I did download them from Apple's Third Party site, so forgive me for being lulled into a false sense of security...

But now for me to eat humble pie, it turns out it WAS a runaway log file, which I had never heard of happening in relation to quicktime player (though I hear it's quite common with iTunes)... The odd thing is that it only happens when I play a certain file, otherwise everything else is fine... Curious, but yes, it's not really a virus.