Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kttyhawk87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2008
well.. i made the mistake of downloading WMP for mac so i could watch a certain video, and now whenever i go to youtube or any other website with video the little quicktime symbol comes up with a question mark infront of it. any ideas?

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
well.. i made the mistake of downloading WMP for mac so i could watch a certain video, and now whenever i go to youtube or any other website with video the little quicktime symbol comes up with a question mark infront of it. any ideas?

Do you have flash? and Perian? Make sure those are up to date.

ihabime

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
By WMP, do you mean the old Windows media player or the WMV Codec?

Try going to System Preferences-Quicktime-Advanced tab, click the Mime settings button, then the Use Defaults button.

As I recall, the old WMP would hijack some of the stream types from Quicktime, that should reset them.

For playing WMV files in the future, you can DL the Perian or flip4mac codecs free and play WMVs directly in quicktime.

kttyhawk87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2008
hm.. i tried putting it back to its default settings, but it still seems to not be working. and i'm not sure if i have flash or perian.. i'll look into that, but i don't understand how that would suddenly become a problem when my quicktime has always worked. but thanks for the suggestion - i'll see if that's the problem!

kttyhawk87

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 30, 2008
okay - it works again! i tried restarting my computer after i set it back to default and it's all good. .... probably should've tried that in the first place. anyway, thanks for your help!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.