Quicktime doesn't play MPG?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ainjo1919, Oct 31, 2008.

1. ainjo1919 macrumors regular

I have an MPG file I transferred from my Sony hard disk drive camcorder but Quicktime doesn't let me see the video. A pop up comes up and says, "The movie could not be opened. The file is not a movie file." I don't understand why, and the file is actually Mpeg 2, but it's just named MPG. I also tried opening it up on iMovie but no luck either.

Anything I can do or why doesn't it let me open it? Thanks in advance! :)

2. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

3. jackerin macrumors 6502a

That is because Quicktime does not play MPEG-2 out of the box. If you want to play it in Quicktime there's the Quicktime MPEG-2 component you can buy from Apple; you can also use VLC or Mplayer for playback.

4. Diaresi macrumors regular

Install Perian :)

5. ainjo1919 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone. I'll give some of those a try and let you know if it worked :cool:

6. dguglielmo macrumors newbie

yeah i must say i love VLC. I use it for all my video playback cuz it works w everything pretty much

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's great to have VLC or Mplayer around, but in terms of basics, you really should get both Perian and the WMV Quicktime Components (aka Flip4Mac). Having these installed will dramatically improve the chances that QT will just play whatever you come across.

8. dguglielmo macrumors newbie

bleh as much as you need flip4mac to play wmv files within an internet browser it is so glitchy and i hate how with some videos you have to wait till its fully loaded in order for it to play properly... a little off subject but nevertheless it my ten cents

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's not perfect... but it's much better than things were before Microsoft made the arrangement to make flip4mac freely available as the official solution. Their WMP for Mac was terrible.