Quicktime doesn't work when viewing videos on the web

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by soccersquirt82, Mar 11, 2008.

1. soccersquirt82 macrumors 6502

I got Leopard a couple of months ago, and I noticed that when viewing videos on the web using Quicktime, the audio works but there's no picture. It worked when i was using Tiger. I downloaded the newest quicktime version for leopard multiple times but it still doesnt work. I'm viewing videos on lots of sites, including the Apple website. i have an iMac running leopard with a 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo with plenty of hard drive memory space.

2. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Not all videos play well with Quicktime. The best way to get videos to work is to download Flip4Mac. It's free.

3. soccersquirt82 thread starter macrumors 6502

i downloaded flip4mac when i got tiger. do i need to re-download it because i switched to leopard??

4. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

If you upgraded to Leopard, no. However, if you initialized your HD, and installed Leopard, then yes; you will need to reinstall.

Here is a program called Perian, its a video Plug-in for QuickTime; it supposedly allows you to play most formats except WMA files.

5. soccersquirt82 thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, I've re-downloaded Perian, Flip4Mac, and Quicktime. The videos on the web are still glitchy. I have to refresh the page multiple times and then the movies will sometimes show. The audio always works, it's the picture that doesn't always show up.

6. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Have you tried restarting after installing the plugins? It shouldn't be required but you never know, its worth trying.

7. soccersquirt82 thread starter macrumors 6502

I have restarted the computer, but it still doesn't work. Any more ideas?

8. soccersquirt82 thread starter macrumors 6502

Should I go to the Apple Store to ask them?? I feel likes that's such a waste of time, but do you think they could fix the problem??

9. Silent!Avenger macrumors newbie

Flip4Mac has always worked for me. Could you possibly post a link to the video you are trying to play? Also, what browser are you using?

10. soccersquirt82 thread starter macrumors 6502

11. soccersquirt82 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I'll take it into the Apple Store. I've tried everything. Even re-downloaded Safari, Quicktime, Perian, and Flip4Mac. I hope they will fix it, and thanks for everybody's posts.

12. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

I've seen this as well, and I "solved" it by moving the movie so just the top of it is behind the top bar. I haven't had time to look into just WHY it does this, but it works every time for me. And not all movies exhibit this....

13. soccersquirt82 thread starter macrumors 6502

Attached Files:

14. soccersquirt82 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's still not working, and I'm not sure what the guys at the Apple Store could do to make it work again. Could it be that I have both Perian and Flip4Mac installed?? Are their any obvious things that I may not be doing??

15. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

I've both Flip4Mac & perian installed and was able to watch & had audio with all those get a Mac videos in the link you posted ( with safari 3.1 and 10.5.2 ),unfortunately i don't know why you have issues,sorry