Quicktime export - why so slow?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ojwk, Dec 22, 2007.

1. ojwk macrumors regular

ojwk

I've recently been exporting some avi files in Quicktime Pro to the format compatible with iPhone. I've been using my PowerMac G5 for this as I didn't think it was a particularly arduous task and I naturally assumed it could handle it.

Well Quicktime gave me an estimate of around 1 hour for a 30 minute 720x480 file - fair enough, but according to the activity monitor I'm only using around 77% CPU power and I have 750MB of RAM free.

Is there a way of dedicating more computer resources to speed up this process? I don't want to use the computer for the next few hours so I would be happy to have it somehow dedicated to those threads although I'm not sure if there is a way how to do this.

Any advice on dedicating the computer to a specific task for a few hours?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Why don't you use your Mac Pro? Encoding video is always a slow task.

That time doesn't seem slower than usual.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I'm not sure exactly what's going on, but it's not impossible the G5 is waiting on system resources (virtual memory?) and is unable to fully utilize the CPU. I don't know of any really "safe" way to prioritize things except to make sure others aren't vying for attention.

5. ojwk thread starter macrumors regular

ojwk

Thanks all for advice, much appreciated.

Yeah under usual circumstances I would use the Mac Pro however if I'm rendering something in Shake on that I can't really afford to devote resources to encoding personal entertainment :p

I guess I'm so used to the Mac Pro speeds at encoding that I forget what it was like before! At least I can leave the G5 to get on with it over a period of time, it's not a particularly long time I just wondered when there was so much idle resources why it wasn't being utilized.

6. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

somewhat related. . . at least slow quicktime. . . when I upgraded my mac mini core solo to Leopard the time it takes for me to code in quicktime increased and the computer totally freezes up. The computer encodes, but I can not run anything else at all while this is going on. before i installed Leopard when i was running Tiger I could still perform other tasks while quicktime was encoding. any ideas??

7. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Encoding is a major pain in QuickTime. The only thing I will ever use it for is extracting and exporting the audio from a video file. iSquint is perfect for converting files to .mp4 and playing them on the iPod.

8. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

what ram do u have> get more

9. southwos macrumors newbie

I'm trying to export video from .m4v to .mp4 and it is taking about 5 hours for one 1.5hr movie. I have a MP 8 core with 20GB RAM. Under activity monitor QT is only using 161%. What could be causing it not to use more resources?

10. southwos macrumors newbie

Oh, and I'm running 10.5.6

11. jackerin macrumors 6502a

The nature of video encoding, perhaps. Each frame is dependant on the one before it, making video encoding a very linear task that doesn't really take advantage of more than one core.

On a side-note, why are you exporting from m4v to mp4 (unless you're changing resolution)? They're both the same format...

Edit: Happy birthday to this thread, btw.

12. southwos macrumors newbie

I was trying to stream to a PS3 and it kept saying unrecognized format. I searched and saw that it was looking for MP4 and didn't look like it was a Apple TV compatible. Basically I was just trying to see if giving it a different format would make any difference. I didn't know they were the same.