Quicktime exporting files to work on Windows

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by 2ms, Oct 17, 2008.

1. 2ms macrumors 6502

I'm having to convert a movie from .MOV to some format that works nicely on even Window Media Player 9.

I tried what I think is the best -- mpeg4 -- but WMP9 wouldn't play it. Then I tried making an AVI but the quality was really bad for the file size. My boss has used "mpg3" successfully in the past, but I don't see that as an export option in Quicktime Pro.

Any advice on how to get good quality movies out of QT Pro that are highly compatible with slightly older MS computers?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Try a high quality Sorenson3 file. We use this all the time at work for client approvals over the internet and never had a problem yet.

Lethal

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The paid version of Flip4Mac.

4. 2ms thread starter macrumors 6502

How do I make it Sorenson3? I don't see the option anywhere. What is it anyway?

5. Exman macrumors member

Keep the original MOV file. Convert it to WMV in Windows. There are plenty of good programs that can do it. Doing this on a Mac is the hard way.

Google "super video converter" and "mediacoder".

6. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Flip4mac works well inside your mac based editing system, but you have to pay for it.

7. 2ms thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there any other way to get it into a format like MPEG3 or something (since that worked for him before) rather than downloading some kind of new program? I just want him to view the .MOVs as any more of a hastle than necessary. Does windows movie maker or anything like that do it? We both have Windows machines here at work. I have QT Pro on my Windows machine.

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

At church, in order to play it in Windows properly, you have to convert it using windows.

We usually go from Mac Quicktime files to AVI files using Quicktime Pro for Windows. The Windows version of QT seems to do a more compatible job of creating Windows files than the Mac version.

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Many codecs are hidden by default because Apple is irritating at times. Open up System preferences, go to QuickTime, go to the Advanced tab and enable Show Legacy Encoders.

Lethal

10. 2ms thread starter macrumors 6502

I enabled the legacy codecs but I don't see any Sorenson in the main list. I also don't see any mpg3. What should I be looking for exactly?

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you select "make QuickTime movie" then hit "options" you'll get a new window and w/in the new window you can select a number of codecs, including Sorenson3 under the Video->Settings button. I don't see an MPG3 though. For older and/or non-QT codecs you'll need to buy another app.

Lethal

12. bassmonkey71 macrumors newbie

help

i have a band and have had someone record us for demo purposes. The trouble is that he used pro tools and gave me a disc with quicktime files on it because he was having problems with his mac. His i tunes did not recognize his burner now the dilema i am facing is i have a pc and cannot get my quick tunes to recognize the files. How do i convert this information file to one a pc can understand so i can burn it to disc?

13. dougD macrumors newbie

Hi, just joined today, because you seem to have an answer to my problem.

local folks with old windows can't view my mp4 files on mobile.me.

If I buy Flip4Mac, I can do that?

Doug

14. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

With QuickTime Pro, yes.