Quicktime MKV component that works in Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RevToTheRedline, Dec 25, 2007.

1. RevToTheRedline macrumors 6502a

RevToTheRedline

Does anyone know of a MKV video format codec (component) for Quicktime that works with the latest versions / Leopard? I would prefer to have Quicktime control for playing my .mkv's over VLC player. Plus would add the ability to play them in FrontRow.

EDIT
    I found one called Perian that adds a bunch of format support to Quicktime, while the 720p and 1080p videos play flawless in QT, they are laggy for some reason in FrontRow, I guess I'll just stick with VLC.

2. guywillson macrumors newbie

Laggy in Quicktime

Does anyone know if there's any way of changing the default video viewer in Frontrow to something else... the reason is that I have all the codec installed to play all manor of files in Quicktime and they all work fine outside of Frontrow but as soon as I am in it it's seriously slow to play. sometimes it can take up to 6minutes to start a movies and I really dont think my duo 2.16 is that slow!

I really like Frontrow and if this can be worked out I'll probably buy a mac mini and hook it up to a USB drive for all of my media

PLEASE HELP ME, DRIVING ME MAD!

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Just so you know MKV files need to be fully loaded into QT when using Perian before they will play correctly. If its a big HD file it can take some time.

4. Jshwon macrumors 6502

Jshwon

How do you use Perian to get the mkv files to play in QT/FR? I have a few 720p files that play in VLC just fine but when played in QT there is no sound. I have Perian installed but it seems like I am missing something. As if I need to load something from Perian to QT?

5. guywillson macrumors newbie

Sorted out my only problem

Righty ho...

http://0xced.blogspot.com/2007/11/front-row-for-tiger.html

It seems it's only the new version (leopard version) of Frontrow that has this problem...

go to the address above, download the Frontrow 1.0 app save it instead of the one currently in your applications folder and all movies run straight away rather than taking 6 minutes...! amazing! now I can sit back in my armchair with my groovy little mac remote and play any files I like!

G

(if anyone knows of any sideeffects this may course please give me the heads up)

6. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

What is the format of your audio tracks?

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The fun thing is that Quicktime is clueless. You get the nice message to get a new codec to play the audio.

VLC for me says AAC/MPEG4 for audio information.

8. Jshwon macrumors 6502

Jshwon

I think it may be dolby digital on the files I have. Is that the issue?

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Could be. Some formats require a single codec. Many other audio-video formats require separate codecs for their audio and video tracks. To this end, I have just about every Apple-sanctioned codec installed. I have Perian installed. I have also searched the web for every other available codec and installed those. The end result is that I can play just about anything in any QuickTime-compatible app.

10. installingcats macrumors newbie