Quicktime .mov files won't show image

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by admdelta, Jul 23, 2008.

1. admdelta macrumors newbie

I'm trying to make a movie in Final Cut Pro, but when I imported the videos to my scratch, I can't view them. The .mov's won't work in Final Cut, Quicktime, Finder, or anything else I try. The sound and everything is there, but all I see is a black image. My friend opened them on his computer without a problem, but for some reason it won't work for me. Any ideas?

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

.mov is a wrapper, which means that it could be encoded using any number of codecs.

You probably don't have a codec on your computer that your friend does. You need to find out what codec is being used.

3. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

This is very true. defacto .mov files will play almost anywhere, but if it's used a unique codec you'll need that. Chances are VLC will install proper codec.

Same is true for AVI, MPG etc. I have several avi files that will run just fine in WMP and others that won't unless I have a different codec installed.

4. admdelta thread starter macrumors newbie

So I investigated, and apparently it uses the codecs Apple ProRes 422, Integer (Little Endian), and Timecode.

I've been looking at other support forums, and it seems ProRes is supposed to come with Final Cut Pro 6, but apparently it doesn't with 5, which is what I have. The reason it's working on my friend's is because he uploaded all of the videos onto his computer using FCP6, and then we tried transferring them to mine.

What should I do?

5. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Transcode them to a codec your version can use.

6. admdelta thread starter macrumors newbie

How do I do that?

7. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Your friend has to do it.

Compare your /Library/QuickTime folder with his. He will have to reprocess the movies using one of the codecs that you have.

Otherwise, upgrade to FCP6.