Quicktime + .mov + Windows = no sound?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Split98, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Split98 macrumors newbie

Hey guys.

Firstly, with the nature of my issue... I have this feeling that the forum veterans have likely heard this many many times. So if you have I apologize in advance, I've been hacking away at this for weeks off and on and haven't been able to find an answer. Also wasn't able to find a solution through searching.

So... here we go.

Issue is, no sound from .mov files on my PC.

On my MacBook, the .mov files play just fine, and play just fine on the AppleTV. This is my main media computer, so I store all my movies here (I like VisualHub and ffmpegx much better than anything on Windows I've seen. If anyone has suggestions for Windows, I'm all ears). All my new movies and TV shows are stored on the MacBook, and every now and then I do a move of all that I've watched to here on the Windows desktop where I archive my favorites and keepers. The only problem, is that all my .mov files have zero sound when playing on the PC, though fine on my Mac.

So far, I've tried:
    - Re-installing everything Apple (even Bonjour)
    - Installing all Quicktime components suggested on the site (link)
    - installed CoreAAC-1.2.0.573
    - installedK-Lite Codec Pack 4.4.2.0
    - I also extracted the .aac to .wav to try another format.. the result was 2 hours of dead air
    - I also tried the trick with the new update for the AppleTV in inserting a sub 1 sec clip if an .ac3 file into the .mov
    - also no sound playing them through VLC

I have seen a couple posts about Quicktime for Windows unable to play HD vids, but a) not all my .mov are HD b) sounded like all the issues were video related

Any help would be MUCH appreciated. I've hit a wall.

2. Split98 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing so far.

Not sure if this helps at all, but I converted those .movs to .m4v with HandBrake using my PC... and they work fine.

So I guess that issue is resolved... just wondering if anyone has any ideas. I still have a bunch of unplayable .movs I'll probably never get around to re-encoding. Not to mention quality loss.