Quicktime movies are incompatible file formats for dvd studio pro?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Luis Ortega, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

I am trying to create a simple dvd in dvd studio pro and I have 13 short animations that are PAL quicktime movies and a short trailer move with snippets of each animation movie, all edited and exported in FCP.

When I try to add the trailer to the drop zone or one of the movies to a movie button, it says that the format is incompatible.
    I have tried to set the properties to match the quicktime movies but nothing seems to help.
    I recall last year doing the same thing without any problems.

I am completely stumped with this.
    Can anyone please advise?
    Thanks.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It's a strange problem, which you could circumvent by using Compressor first and convert the video and audio to .m2v and .aac encoded files and then use those files in DVD Studio Pro. That works for me.

3. Luis Ortega thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, yes, but dvd studio pro specifically states that it can use quicktime movie files directly, so why would one need to introduce this added step, which probably degrades files through another layer of compression?
    Is this a bug in dvd studio pro or what?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I don't know if it is a bug, but it is a known problem, that DVDSP sometimes doesn't really like QT files using the DV codec for example.

Also the video will be compressed either way.

1. You do it via Compressor, then DVDSP will do no conversion.

OR

2. You don't do it in Compressor, and DVDSP will do the conversion, but it might take longer, if you can get the files inside.

So there is only one further compression involved, not two as you might think.

PS: What codec did you use for the QT file?

PPS: That is what is Compressor is there for anyway, to have better control of the compression, as DVDSP doesn't offer that much.

PPPS: QuickTime is a container for a variety of codecs, thus DVDSP will not take everything. It even refuses NTSC footage for a PAL DVD.

5. Luis Ortega thread starter macrumors 6502a

The animations were exported using h264 as the compression.

I also tried doing the dvd in idvd but there are 13 files and it would only allow me to add 11 movies before refusing to add more because I had reached the limit of movies allowed in the template.
    I tried a few more templates but I had no luck, although it accepted the movie files ok.
    Is there some way to add more than 11 files to an idvd menu?
    I don't want to create two menus since the projects are not really divisible in any logical way (they are a group of student animation projects, all short 1 to 2 minute movies done in stopmotion using digital cameras and FCP).
    Thanks for your help.

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Don't use the H264 codec for exporting from FCP if you want to use them in DVDSP.
    The H264 codec is very lossy, as it does not store every frame, only the change between two keyframes (MPEG-2 for example only stores every 15th frame, the stuff between is calculated as change between those two stored frames).

As you probably edit in FCP with either the DV, AIC or ProRes codec, use that codec (the one you use there) to export the finished sequences and either go through Compressor or use DVDSP directly.

What codec do you use btw, to edit in FCP?

7. Luis Ortega thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks.
    This stuff is actually quite different than what I normally do.
    On my own, I transfer video from a Panasonic tm300 avchd camcorder into FCP which turns it into prores 422 clips.

But these animations are student projects.
    They shoot photos with digital cameras of stop motion action and then we turn them into quicktime movies by loading the photos into FCP using a 2 frame duration for each still image and exporting as qt.
    We have been choosing h264 as the compression codec when exporting those qt clips just because they seem to keep file sizes lower than using the animation or the dv pal codecs.
    Then we edit all the qt clips in FCP into a final movie and add sound, titles and transitions, and export the finished movies again using h264 compression.
    Would you suggest a different export choice for this sort of workflow?

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I'm a little bit confused.

I understand, that you import still images, 2 frames long, and then export again as H264 encoded .mov?

And then you use FCP to edit them, but do you use the imported frames, or the exported H264 QT video?

If you edit in SD resolution, just use the DV codec (220MB/min) or the Apple Intermediate Codec (AIC).
    If you edit in HD, use AIC or ProRes (Proxy), as all the other codecs only mean image quality degradation.

And I understood, you don't want that.

As I can see from another thread, you want to use iMovie.

You can use DVD Studio Pro for what you want, you just have to use the DV, AIC or ProRes codec druing exporting the finished sequences.
    Then use Compressor (or not, but I recommend it) to convert to .m2v and .aac encoded video and audio files.
    Then use those in DVDSP, make your 11-13 titles, and let DVDSP build the DVD.
    If you used Compressor to transcode the video, DVDSP will not transcode the video, and the building process should take less than 5 minutes.

Do you need more information or clarification?