Quicktime mvk/avi prob

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ThatDamnGuy, Oct 27, 2008.

1. ThatDamnGuy macrumors newbie

ok here is my issue im on a 13" mackbook with OS 10.5.5 Processor 2.1 Intel Core 2 Duo using Quicktime 7.5.5. I download a lot of movies in rar so i use UnRarX 2.2 after running UnRarX the movies were always saved as AVI files one day some of the AVI's would only play video no sound. I was told to get VLC player so I did and all my movies would play fine but now all my rar's download as mvk files instead of avi files the prob is I dont have VLC any more and have fixed my Quicktime to play everything but all my stuff is still saved as MVK how do I stop this ?!?!?! I want ti to save as AVI again I have already reinstalled Quicktime and UnRarX but still all rar's are saved as MVK ... please help if you can .... sorry its so long

Thanks for the help

William

2. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

UnRarX does NOT repeat does NOT save your files as a particular type.

*.rar files are like a volumized zip format. Someone took one file and used a RAR compression tool to compress it and split the files up. UnRarX simply puts them back together and extracts the file inside.

So it's not VLC or QuickTime or UnRarX but the person who packed the mvk file.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

VLC works just fine for my h.264 in MKV encapsulation. You can give the Perian plugin for Quicktime a spin too.

4. ThatDamnGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both for your quick response.

Edorian::: yes i have Perian plugin thats why i dont need VLC anymore and all my files play fine now but i share them with other people and everyone is having problems with the MVK files now both pc/mac users. I just wanted it to change back thanks.

kkat69 ::: thanks for the explanation I did not understand how these apps work .... but if what you say is correct then can you please explain this for me ... on monday I downloaded movie X from user A's post and ran unrarx it was saved as X.avi on tuesday i downloaded VLC to play other movies and when i noticed the format change i again downloaded the SAME movie X from the SAME user A's post and now have X.mvk ?? can you please help

5. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

No explaination, but what I said is true: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAR

Rar is just a compression file format, UnRarX is a tool that uses the base standards for uncompressing that format.

Think if Rar as a Zip. WinZip or Unarchiver does not rename, but simply extracts the contents of the zip file. UnRarX does the same thing.

6. ThatDamnGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thank you very much.... could something on my Mac be changing the file type ??

7. johto macrumors 6502

johto

No. You are confused on this issue with something else.

8. ThatDamnGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

Ummm no im not ...... the same file downloaded on a different Mac and my PC gives an AVI but on mine its a MVK but only after i installed the VLC player before I installed the VLC player the same download gave me an AVI .....

something on my laptop changed after I installed the VLC player

9. johto macrumors 6502

johto

Check the "Get Info" with finder cmd+i to see if it's *REALLY* .mkv or .avi
    I hope you are not confusing the file format with the icon :)