Quicktime, "New screen recording" and recording length.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Appletise, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Appletise macrumors member

heres the problem: my HD only has 450mb of space left and l like to record clips of personal videos with quicktime "New screen recording", some videos are 20mins long, I realise that the HD would never have enough space, so l have directed QT to save in my buffalo 1TB external drive, yet it automatically stops after ~7mins, "operation stopped there is not enough available space to continue the writing. make room by deleting existing videos" , my buffalo 1TB has max space. how do l record the videos without having to spend hours transferring files and folders from mbpr HD to 1TB buffalo external ? (very importantly is this manual transfer necessary since time machine is set up and progresses and completes often whenever my other 1TB touro drive is connected or do l still have to manually transfer important media files etc to my 1TB buffalo?)

2. agenda893 macrumors member

Quicktime is running out of room because it is still recording to your internal drive. It doesn't actually write the data to the external drive until you save it. One option would be to install OSX on the external, and use it to boot. If you're using Thundebolt, USB 3 or firewire you'll run fine, but if it's USB 2 you'll notice some slowdown.