Quicktime not opening a file after SL

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Donz0r, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

So Quicktime 7 opened my transformers.mov file just fine, but now it won't open under snow leopard. any ideas why?

[​IMG]

2. psingh01 macrumors 65816

Same issue here. I have mpeg-2 files of nba games I recorded with a TV tuner. Was able to view them fine before the upgrade. Now they won't open with either the new quicktime or the old one that is still installed.

I don't remember if I paid for the mpeg2 plugin or pirated it lol. If I find out I paid for it I will be real mad with Apple! :D

3. AGSHender macrumors regular

AGSHender

Why not just re-add QuickTime 7 (if you removed it during install) and use QT7 to open the file? The new QuickTime doesn't have support for all the old codecs that 7 did.

4. zen macrumors 68000

zen

I've just had the same problem trying to open an mpeg - suddenly nothing will open it, and it's only after trying with MPEG Streamclip that I discover my Quicktime MPEG2 component is missing after installing Snow Leopard. What the hell? I've restored it from Time Machine and now it works again.

So what's that about? Why remove it?

I must admit I don't quite understand Quicktime X - what's the point if it only supports a limited number of formats, and Quicktime 7 (now sitting in the Utilities folder) opens the rest? I just tried converting some mkv files to mp4 for my Playstation 3, and Quicktime 7 did it for me.

Stranger and stranger.

5. 1984 macrumors 6502a

So you still need the optional MPEG2 component to open MPEG2 files with Quicktime X or worse, you still need it AND it only works with Quicktime 7?

6. psingh01 macrumors 65816

Well I did what zen did and just got the mpeg2 component from Time Machine and put back where it belongs. Now I can watch the video on both Quicktime X and Quicktime 7.

7. zen macrumors 68000

zen

Yeah, once you have the MPEG2 component back, MPEG playback works for everything - Quicktime X, Quicktime 7, MPEG Streamclip, etc etc.

I'm really stumped though as to why the Snow Leopard upgrade removed it. I bought the component years ago, but it's mine, and more importantly I need it (which is why I bought it!). Luckily it was just a matter of scrolling back in Time Machine until I found my last Leopard system, and pulled it out.

8. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Yeah, I was kinda upset about the mpeg plugin being removed. I purchased it back in early 2008 and couldn't find the dmg file on my time machine.

Retrieving it from Apple is easy though if you used the store. Simply go to the store and click on "Account". Click "Downloadable Software Purchases". It should be listed there with a download link.

The plugin works great with the new version of Quicktime.

9. zen macrumors 68000

zen

Given that it works perfectly with Quicktime X (and we still, bizzarely, have Quicktime 7 anyway), I can only assume it's deletion by the SL updater is a mistake. It's going to cause of a lot of scratched heads for people who use the MPEG2 component regularly.