Quicktime on web site

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by nomade, Oct 7, 2009.

1. nomade macrumors member

nomade

Hi everybody,

I create a PHP web site with dynamic quicktime video.

The problem I have is that when you start a video, since autoplay=true the video start before complete download and there is nothing to view.

If you wait for download then everything is fine

To see the problem : http://joannaempain.com/en/video.php

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Nomadique

2. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

I checked the source in the popup window you created that displays the video I selected and autoplay is set to false. Not true as you stated.

On a side note, I have two informal suggestions:

1) Kill the popup window - adjust your page so an area on it is set aside to show the player once the video is selected, you can always hide it (create a div, default display: none) and enable it once a video is selected.

2) Consider converting to Flash SWF (embedded player) or FLV with third party player, playlist and thumbnails. Why? Flash is supported on 96% of computers, you control the look/feel with the Flash skin, and the progressive streaming is the same quality technology used on all the popular video sites like You Tube and so on for maximum browser and platform compatibility. No reliance on the QT plugin, no issues with administrative rights to install on work machines if the plugin is missing, etc., etc.

-jim

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

4. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

HTML5 is not a standard yet, Consultant. Its official status is "working draft" version 7 as of this month, it's not even in candidate stage yet. Please read the draft here. The W3C advises the following as to using HTML5:
    Please don't take this the wrong way but this is a learning forum, so not including the draft status while making the suggestion is technically irresponsible. In other words, I felt compelled to post the status and warn the user that AS OF RIGHT NOW, we still use plugins for QT to be compatible with the most browsers which follow the current HTML standard.

On a side note, the article you linked is only for Safari users. Many Mac users like me also use FF and even with ADBLock Flash comes in just fine for sites like YouTube, etc., as the article mentions. In addition, similar addons are available in the Windows world as well, especially via FF which is growing in market share all the time. But as we all know, plenty of folks still get to YouTube - the issue these days is more firewall blocks in workplaces than Adobe Flash support. If it was as bad as you say, i.e. developers should switch away from Flash video, almost all the adult sites, sites like Live Leak, Rapsody, You Tube and countless others would have also switched.

I'm sorry to jump all over your response, I professionally disagree and please do not take any of this personally. I want the user here to know that using Flash is actually less problematic than a Quick Time plugin as it stands right now - knowing HTML5 is not standard yet and Flash blocking is not an issue large enough to warrant developers to switch.

Maybe when HTML5 is out, of course. Then. Just not yet - and I never recommend a developer code beyond the current standard. Bottom line.

Fair response? Am I speaking out of line here?

-jim