Quicktime only opens partial .avi file

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sallylynn812, May 31, 2011.

1. sallylynn812 macrumors member

I'm new to Macs, I've had my MacBook Pro for less than two days, but I think I'm fairing quite well.

I have installed Quicktime 7 Pro on my mac and converted an .avi file to .mov and burned it to a DVD. While watching it I realized that 30 minutes or so was missing from the end, so I tried to backtrack the problem.
    When I open the .avi in QTP it only opens 1:22 out of the full 1:55. When I open the .avi in VLC or DivX player it will open the full 1:55, just not Quicktime X or Quicktime 7 Pro.

What's the problem? Why wont it open the complete file? Is there a better program I can use to convert?

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Quicktime tends to be picky about the format of AVI files, and if this is a file downloaded off the internet, there are an incredible number of badly mangled AVI files floating around. It probably has some index corruption, and while VLC is willing to forgive, QT isn't.

This may or may not help, but have you already installed Perian? Perian is a free codec package for QuickTime that will allow it to play very nearly every video format in existence. Depending on what the exact cause of the issue is, it may not fix this particular file, but it's VERY worth installing regardless--no disadvantages and a lot of advantages.

As for conversion, iFFmpeg or ffmpegX should both be able to convert anything VLC can play, but neither is free (I think they both have unlimited demos, though). Handbrake may also work, and it is free, although has less convert-to options.

3. sallylynn812 thread starter macrumors member

I have not installed Perian yet (hadn't heard of it) and I will let you know if that helps. If it doesn't then I'll try Handbrake, I think I've heard of that before... if it can do .avi > .mov then I think it's all I'll ever need.
    Thank you!

4. sallylynn812 thread starter macrumors member

Perian worked!!!! Thank you sooooo much!
    Only wasted 2 DVDs... not bad.