QuickTime/Perian question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Morod, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Hi,
    I got the new version of QuickTime today, and in one of the threads I read about two applications, Perian and Flip4Mac. I downloaded Perian. My question is, do I have to do anything to use it, or will it automatically start/run whenever QuickTime needs it? I guess Perian is a codec that allows QuickTime to run other formats of video than whatever is native to QuickTime. Is this correct? I guess that's two questions, not one, but any info or directions to info would be appreciated, as I have never even heard of Perian before today. Thanks,
    Morod

2. kwissylawrencek macrumors member

Thats right, you don't need to do anything. Once Perian is installed, Quicktime will automatically run all the perian supported formats.

3. nemex macrumors regular

nemex

Make sure you have the latest Perian release 1.1, it was updated yesterday, works great for me :apple:

Cheers!

4. Morod thread starter macrumors 68000

Morod

Thanks for the info, nemex! I am now updated to Perian 1.1.
    Morod

5. Bonsai1214 macrumors 6502a

i can't even update perian right now. the website doesn't work for some reason. i guess i'll check macupdates

edit: yeah, its there and i got it. what an improvement over 1.0. i can watch mkv files with sound now!! i'm so happy. which means i don't have to use vlc to watch my anime any more..