QuickTime Player 6.5.2 problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Defender90CA, May 21, 2010.

1. Defender90CA macrumors newbie

Apr 28, 2010
    I'm running OS X 10.6.3 and I've recently had trouble viewing some .php and .3gp files which I had no trouble viewing before. Here's the message I get when I try to open them:

"You can't use this version of the application QuickTime Player with this version of Mac OS X. You have QuickTime Player 6.5.2"

I can view other formats with QT without a problem, and these problem ones are not older files, so this seems to be specific to these file formats - maybe caused by a QT software update?

Any advice is appreciated.
  2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

Jul 26, 2004
    Montreal, QC
    You're trying to open .php files in QuickTime? :confused:
  3. Defender90CA thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 28, 2010

QT is what launches when I try and open them, and I haven't changed my prefs in terms of various players. Could that have somehow been adjusted when I updated iTunes?
  4. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    It sounds like you have an ancient version of QT Player laying around from before a system update or something; you presumably already have 7.x installed if you've updated iTunes any time in the last few years, and it's just the app leftover, but somehow it's opening automatically instead of 7.x.

The solution would be to find the old QT player and delete it. Do you have maybe a "Previous Systems" folder leftover from an upgrade at some point?
  5. Defender90CA thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 28, 2010
    Thanks! That's a start

I did a search and found multiple QT players on my HD (1 in Applications, 1 in Utilities in Applications, 1 in Multimedia). The "Multimedia" one was 6. something so I deleted that one. When I Get Info on the 2 remaining, here's what I see:

- QuickTime Player 7, version 7.6.6 - created 04/2009 (Applications/Utilities)

- QuickTime Player, version 10.0 - created 05/2009 (Applications)

Which one should I keep and where?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
  6. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    Sorry I missed that you'd replied in this thread.

The answer is both, where they are.

QT10 is the new Snow Leopard rebuild, and you want its associated player in the Applications folder, where it is. QT7 is an optional install under Snow Leopard, for people who need or want the more old-fashioned but also more full-featured QT7 application--QT7 wasn't as good for just watching videos, but has a bunch of extra editing and transcoding features in the pro version that a small percentage of people--myself among them--use. I'm very glad Apple let us continue to have access to these features.

The QT7 player in your Utilities folder is this version; while the OS doesn't require it, there should be no harm at all in keeping it, and the Utilities folder is where it's supposed to live. It will coexist happily with QT10, and you can use the "open with" default to tell the OS which player app you prefer to open files in (note that in most cases both QT7 and QT10 have access to all the same installed codecs).

I, personally, use QT10 for just watching movies, then open things manually in QT7 when I want to do transcoding or mess with tracks in the file or whatnot.

You had apparently moved or copied an old version of the QT6 player to that other folder along the line somewhere, so it didn't get removed automatically by Snow Leopard's installer. Deleting it was the correct thing to do, and that will probably be the end of your problems.