Quicktime Plugin and Firefox

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SpamBoy, Jul 27, 2010.

1. SpamBoy macrumors newbie

I am running Snow Leopard and have QT 7 and QT X installed...
    Ever since I got my Mac last year I have had problems with Quicktime movies paying in Firefox (I've tolerated it thus far, but am now wanting to fix it).

Movies tend to play "okay" if I don't touch the controller (pause, scrub ff, rw), but if I do, the movie lags and bogs down Firefox until it becomes unstuck. I often times can't even close the tab until it becomes unstuck. The same movies in Safari don't do this and play fine. Anyone else experience this?

I've noticed Safari uses the Quicktime X style controller and Firefox uses the old style - is there any way to force Firefox to use the newer style/plugin?

Please don't respond with "Well, why don't you just use Safari, then." My answer is: "because it lacks the add-ons I want to use."

2. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Have you checked the Firefox preferences to make sure it uses the newer version plug-in?

3. SpamBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup - Firefox plug-in check says "Up to Date" with "QuickTime Plug-in 7.6.6"

4. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Ok, what about the Firefox preferences? As in the settings window that comes up when you go to the Firefox menu and select preferences, then you go to Applications, is there an option to use the newer Quicktime plug-in?

5. SpamBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

No, there is only an option for the 7.6.6 QT plugin...