Quicktime Pro 7 - will this ever work on lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by steveOooo, Nov 5, 2011.

1. steveOooo macrumors 6502a

Bought a new MP and currently attempting to migrate from a MBP running 10.6.8 but..

after successfully installing adobe master col. fcps and various other bits - two apps that i like to use now and again (audio hijack) / ALOT (Quicktime pro 7) CRASH on opening...

I installed them bother under 10.7.2 (i understand its possible to install and there ok on 10.7.1) but just wondered, would this ever work on lion? i sense its in beta...

Ive taken a TM backup of my MBP - I'm tempted to just restart, holding the option key and choosing disc utility, and going back to a working osx - 10.6.8 - though i was hoping to do a nice clean install (get rid of residual crud from 5 years of mac usage) but with lion, it looks like its worth the risk

2. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Yeah, no. Quicktime 7 Pro is gone in Lion. I haven't been able to use mine, and the default Quicktime Player v. 10.1 is virtually useless other than to watch stuff in default settings. I thought QT 10 Pro would be out by now?? You know how the software companies love to charge a lil extra for the upgrade/ update, ya know~:(

3. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I know mpg streamclip does most of what qtpro does - but even that doesn't work 100% due to the mpg2 plugin not working.

If it ain't broke don't fix it, in this case-

If it ain't broke apple, don't break it.

I left the 10.6.8 transfer / restore over night, if it doesn't work, I'm sending my mac pro bac and buying a pc with adobe master collection cs 5.5.

I wonder if universities that teach video editing etc have lion installed on their machines ? How will going 'dumb blonde' effect not just the pro market, but the education market too.

If all you can do is iWank, there's not much point having a mac over a pc.

4. treichert macrumors 6502

Works just fine here.

After I opened a movie that QuickTime 10 couldn't open, Software Update started and downloaded and installed QuickTime 7.

5. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Why are there two qt versions? Surely the solution would be to put ALL qt pro features into qtX - or is that too complicated for the iConsumer to understand?

6. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

I just spit *hot coffee* all over myself. Thanks.:D

Well Damn. Must be doing something wrong. I drag and dropped QT 7 from a different drive after updating, it crashed upon opening.. Maybe mine was Rosetta? I was on a G5 previously.. hmm:cool:

7. ajcrow93 macrumors member

If you think your copy of it is wonky I guess you could try downloading it from here and installing it again?
    http://support.apple.com/kb/DL923

My copy worked fine, but that was after upgrading from SL, not a clean install.

8. briansanderson macrumors member

I am running Quicktime Pro 7 with no issues in Lion with the above link. Have been since the day I installed Lion. Heck it is even more stable than Quicktime X in my day to day operations.

9. Pecorino, Nov 6, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2011

Pecorino macrumors member

One of the most dumbest thing in the whole Mac OSX ecosystem is this QuickTime "player". Or- THE absence of one decent player in the whole OSX ecosystem... .
    It is amazing that, the most "advanced" technologically company are unable to present and produce one decent media player, which are able to play all today's formats and subtitles without a glitch and to play them with Hardware acceleration also. One player which support filters, deinterlacing and advanced capabilities. It is a really one mystery for me... .

DO not know personally even one serious media user of the Apple OSX, which use this "player".
    Why these Apple boys do not adopt the Movist, even in his oldest version? ( 0.6.8)?? will be better.

Mystery.

10. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Yeah it's weird. I use MPlayerX

11. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

It's not a mystery at all. Apple wants people to use the file formats they support – doesn't mean they can't write a program capable playing other formats, just means they're not interested.

12. steveOooo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I downloaded from the apple site .66? It mentioned lion on the same page...

Well who cares? I've gt 10.6.8 back, all apps working, 1st thing i do? been eyeing up my next com - a pc!
    http://www.broadberry.co.uk/intel-core-i7-workstations/cyberstation-i7-professional-graphics

Guess 2-3 years left of my mac days :(

13. GoMommyGO macrumors newbie

GoMommyGO

How to know if your older Software will work in Lion

After much searching, I found a helpful tip on this page:
    http://www.tuaw.com/2011/07/21/mac-101-how-to-tell-if-an-older-app-will-run-on-os-x-lion/
    "The easiest way to tell if you're still running any PowerPC applications on your Mac is to select "About this Mac" from the Apple menu, then go into System Profiler (now known as "System Information" in Lion, accessible by clicking on "System Report...") and check out the "Applications" list in the sidebar under "Software." Sort this list by "Kind" and take note of any apps you find that say "PowerPC" -- those apps won't run in Lion. Anything that says "Intel" or "Universal" is good to go."
    I decided I need to keep my old Leopard and not upgrade for the time being to be able to use the programs I need the most.
    But I want to keep my mac account which will migrate to icloud after June 2012, so I only upgraded my ipod touch, which I hope will enable me to check mail on it! Will let you know if it doesn't work!

14. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

i use QT7 all the time in lion; i just copied the app from an earlier save.
    no problems here...

15. srf4real macrumors 68030

srf4real

Yeah I tried a little harder after getting involved in this thread, I did get my QT Pro 7 back and it works like always. I needed an intel version, that's all.

16. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Remarkable.