Quicktime Pro conversion?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by boynigel, May 3, 2010.

1. boynigel macrumors regular

can anybody here confirm if it is possible, with quicktime pro, to convert mpeg and wmv files into files that can be used in iMovie?

2. martef02 macrumors newbie

For you to convert mpeg files to something like mov in Quicktime to use in iMovie, you would need the mpeg2 plugin from Apple.

You can check out Perian as well http://perian.org/

Perian enables QuickTime application support for additional media:
    File formats: AVI, DIVX, FLV, MKV, GVI, VP6, and VFW
    Video types: MS-MPEG4 v1 & v2, DivX, 3ivx, H.264, Sorenson H.263, FLV/Sorenson Spark, FSV1, VP6, H263i, VP3, HuffYUV, FFVHuff, MPEG1 & MPEG2 Video, Fraps, Snow, NuppelVideo, Techsmith Screen Capture, DosBox Capture
    Audio types: Windows Media Audio v1 & v2, Flash ADPCM, Xiph Vorbis (in Matroska), and MPEG Layer I & II Audio, True Audio, DTS Coherent Acoustics, Nellymoser ASAO
    AVI support for: AAC, AC3 Audio, H.264, MPEG4, and VBR MP3
    Subtitle support for SSA/ASS and SRT

3. jackerin macrumors 6502a

MPEG-1 is not MPEG-2. But what causes problems with MPEG-1 is the sound; get MPEG Streamclip and either 1) convert to another format there, or 2) extract the sound and insert the audio and video separately.

For WMV you'll need the paid-for Flip4Mac.

4. boynigel thread starter macrumors regular

original poster here. still a bit unclear. can anyone explain? again, i'm trying to get mpeg and wav files into imovie. thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

5. boynigel thread starter macrumors regular

6. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

jackerin answered your question based on the info you gave us. We'll need to know more info, or what it is you aren't clear on.