Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 7, 2003
Hey, I need to extract a clip from a DVD for a school project. Can i do that in Quicktime Pro. by playing it on screen and extracting it. Like snap n drag, or wiretap pro. or do i have to get third party software.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Nope. It's technically not legal to do so, so Quicktime does not natively support it. However you can download Handbrake from macupdate.com, which will allow you to rip entire DVDs or just specific chapters if you like.

It is legal (as far as i can tell) to rip a DVD you own onto you computer "for personal use". However, being able to rip DVDs opens up a whole new door of pirating that Apple would rather not officially support.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
pdpfilms said:
Nope. It's technically not legal to do so, so Quicktime does not natively support it. However you can download Handbrake from macupdate.com, which will allow you to rip entire DVDs or just specific chapters if you like.

It is legal (as far as i can tell) to rip a DVD you own onto you computer "for personal use". However, being able to rip DVDs opens up a whole new door of pirating that Apple would rather not officially support.
The debate has been going on for some time and, for many is a moot point, but the "Fair Use" of copyrighted material (in this case a purchased DVD) for "educational purposes" is still on the table, at least last time I checked.
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Internet/copyrightleft2.html
X

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
Use Mac The Ripper to extract the chapter. Then possibly re-encode the VOB to something other than mpeg-2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.