Quicktime Pro features

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by aznando, Aug 20, 2009.

1. aznando macrumors newbie

aznando

I'm a football coach and I was wondering if quicktime pro has a feature where I can take a snapshot of a scene and save it. This would help when I want to save a snapshot of a certain formation and how the defense lined up in reaction to it. Thanks for any help.

Aznando

2. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You could use Grab, if you're just talking about a screenshot.

3. aznando thread starter macrumors newbie

aznando

Well i'm looking for something inside a program that plays video that will take basically a jpeg of the video. Grab looks like it will take a pic of the entire screen. I just want a picture of what is playing in the video player.

Aznando

4. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Grab can take a photo of a selection, window, or the entire screen.

5. str1f3 macrumors 68000

I'm not sure if this good enough for you but Mac OSX already has a keyboard shortcut to bring up crosshairs and drag to take a snapshot of the area you want. I forget the keys but it will tell you in the keyboard shortcut section of system preferences or you could do a Google search.

6. devburke Guest

cmd-shift-4

Saves to the desktop. I believe if you also hold ctrl, it copies to the clipboard instead.

7. aznando thread starter macrumors newbie

aznando

Hey thanks that helped alot!

Aznando

8. devburke Guest

No problem! Also, if you hit the spacebar after bringing up the crosshairs, it switches so that you can select any window for a screenshot. cmd-shift-3 takes a screen shot of the whole screen, and again, holding ctrl copies to the clipboard.

9. pmcb macrumors member

vlc media player also has a screen shot option, if you don't want to bother with keyboard shortcuts. i always have trouble remembering those tricky things.

10. devburke Guest

I don't know about VLC's, but if you don't want to deal with keyboard shortcuts, Grab, in Applications/Utilities is meant just for screen shots. I usually just go with the shortcuts cuz once you learn them, they're a lot easier.

11. jackerin macrumors 6502a

How about just pause the video, then export that frame to image?

12. devburke Guest

This sounds like exactly what you want. I think the issue here is that no one who answered before this actually has QTP, and didn't know whether that was an option or not.

13. hazmatzak macrumors regular

Yes: one Export option is Movie to Picture, and this will take the current frame and export it as a PICT. PICT is a QuickDraw container, and it supports storing the image with various codecs; but it's primarily a Mac format. So you could take that PICT and put it in a document or slide show on a Mac, but it's not a file you could universally share with someone that uses Windows or Linux. (I don't know if it will sync with an iPod....)

Another option with QuickTime Player Pro is to copy that single frame, and then create a new movie with that frame; then Export using Movie to Image Sequence. Here, it will create regular bitmap files, and since it's a single-frame movie, you will get one file that you can easily share.

It's probably easier to get MPEG Streamclip, which has a separate Export Frame menu item.